PDA

View Full Version : High nitrates!!!!

dleko
05/28/2004, 02:01 PM
We have had our 2nd shipment in the tank for 3 weeks. We removed some of the bad smelling sponges about a week ago. Our nitrate levels are still around 25! What can we do? We have performed water changes, but it still won't drop. HELP!!!!

aquababy
05/28/2004, 11:03 PM
I will assume that by your second shippment you are referring to LR - you didn't specify. If it is still cycling (you have NH4 and or NO2) your Nitrates will still be forming. Make sure the cycle is over - no NH4 and no NO2 then your water changes - use R/O D/I water with salt mix - will make a dent in the NO3. Also the rock itself will start to convert the NO3 as well..

Melbourne
05/29/2004, 08:28 PM
Hi,
FWIW, I started up a fuge to help deal with nitrates and it really works well. It also had the unintended side effect of also producing a lot of pods. I'm using chaeto macro algae on a 24/7 lighting schedule.

-Mike

snooter1
05/30/2004, 07:31 AM
Nitrate levels with TBS rock will stay in the 20 range. Have never got mine below and everything is doing fine. If Nitrite and AM are 0 and you keep Nitrate below 20 you should be OK. My Tank is about 5 months old....90 TBS package. Began adding corals at 2 months and fish at three. GO slow and all will be fine.