PDA

View Full Version : i want a mantis but...

Fuegofish777
05/28/2004, 09:23 PM
i've really been wanting to get a mantis every since i did a little research on them...i was wondering...how big of a tank would i need to have a clown mantis about 3 inches long.....thats the smallest i can get them....and will just a small powerfilter be good enough>?

Fuegofish777
05/29/2004, 11:45 AM
feel free to help me.....please....

OctoRock
05/29/2004, 02:02 PM
Originally posted by Gonodactylus
Small (under 2.5 inches), cavity living gonodactyllids, haptosquillids and chorisquillids will do fine in a 2.5 gal system as long as there is good flow and water treatement. The footprint of the tank really isn't that important to the animal. It spends most of its time in the cavity and will do well in a 3-D world. The only time I would worry about the amount of sand or gravel area is if I had a burrowing species such as odontodactylids, lysiosquillids or Pseudosquilla ciliata..

There really are no consistant common names that can be used for mantis shrimp other than "Peacock" and "Clown" that are associated with Odontodactylus scyllarus. Occasionally you will see "striped" or "zebra" used to described a lysiosquillid and "rainbow" for Pseudosquilla ciliata.

Roy

That should give you a pretty good idea.