PDA

View Full Version : Plexiglass Lining?

MFrance
06/01/2004, 10:36 PM
I have a Peacock Mantis on order from the local LFS and I'm going to put it in a glass 20g (I plan on eventually adding on a 10g sump and pc's to grow a few softies for color). I've read around that some people line the bottoms with plexiglass? Does anyone do that in real life or is it just a "good idea"?

brekurboy1
06/01/2004, 11:58 PM
You'll be sad when the mantis punches a hole in the bottom of the tank :P

No really, it is a good good idea. You may get away with not doing that. Peacock mantis' kind of dig in the substrate and when they find a barrier they try to bash through it. I personally made a tank out of lexan for my peacock. Ounce of prevention :)

You know about the PVC pipe home for it to live in, right? keep asking questions. Hate to see anything happen to a wonderful animal like a peacock mantis.

MFrance
06/02/2004, 01:07 PM
I always try to do as much research on any animal that I plan to purchase. I feel obligated to take the best care that I can because I'm their only means of well being.

What I plan on having is a 20g with 20lbs of LR, some PVC for a home (probably an elbow and a few inches of pipe), 3" southdown sand, and for the time being just a small amount of calurpa for color until I get a PC then I have a few softie frags a 10g sump....hopefully eventually the mantis will get to live in a full blown nano reef.

I thought maybe a damsel and a starfish just for fun but I'll have to do a little more research and have a good long talk with the mantis telling him "to play nice with his tank mates" We'll see how it goes...:)

Any good tid bits of info that "I wish that I had known before I got a mantis"?