PDA

View Full Version : Tunze turbelles

jimmy n
06/11/2004, 10:03 PM
Roger,

Just unpacked my tunze turbelles (7406/2 I believe) after two years in storage and they thankfully still work great. The wavecontroller also still functions well.

I just placed them in a garbage can of water and poured in some white vinegar to leave them overnight. Anything Else I can do to shape them up for action before packing and shipping for my new tank after the move?

Thanks,
Jim

rvitko
06/12/2004, 11:41 AM
I would probably remove the drive unit and make sure the parts are clean. If they are the older 7400p or 7406 which had a 6m cable the driver has two knobs on the front which was like an integrated primitive single controller. This pump was more complicated to dissassemble but instructions can be found at www.tunze.com and you will want the instructions for dissassembly of pumps made before 7/2000. It wouldn't be a bad idea to install new drive units because we incorporated some of the new plastic technology from the current models to improve them and they are much tougher- the old ones used to have problems with the plastic pieces shearing and now they are graphite reinforced. If you have a new 7400/2 and it is from the time between 07/2000 and 07/2001 I would strongly suggest you send them in. The first few runs of the new model had all sorts of quirks and machining tolerance issues that made them problematic and those can all be corrected with some simple tools and a little machine work on my end. It isn't the sort of thing that is an instant problem but the pumps won't last as long as they should. The date is embossed on the top of the pump as series/quarter/year a 3 digit code.

jimmy n
06/12/2004, 12:31 PM
They are 7406/2, 6 m cable. Nice units and running well in the water now. The vinegar really shined them up. I believe I got them early 2002. I originally had the 3 m cable on 1 model and it didn't work so you had to ship me a new one with a 6 m cord.

Thanks,

JIm

rvitko
06/12/2004, 12:47 PM
Hmm, I kind of remember that but I thought by that year we had switched to the one 5m cable model. Oh well, if you have any trouble let me know. It can be easily upgraded to the current model- I can't change the cable length but the internals of now could be put in. The 6m unit had an amplifier so the cable length has to stay the same.