PDA

View Full Version : Is my tank adequate for a Clam

cheeto
06/19/2004, 11:43 AM
My GF has been wanting a clam ever since she saw them in the LFS. I told her we had to wait till I got some MH lighting, since clams require high amounts of light.

Fast forward 3 months-
I just bought a 250W coralife 14k MH setup. I plan on placing it about 8" off of the water surface to keep temps down and salt spray off of the bulb. I do not plan on using any supplemental lighting at this point. My tank is a 30 gallon high which is 24" High and a sand bed of about 4". I want to get her a little (1.5") Maxima and place it on the right side of the tank on top of a LR rubble bed I have assembled (about 19" from water surface).

I have a 5.5 gallon fuge that is teaming with pods and macro. And a sump that just came in today that I am going to hook up tonight.

All my levels test perfect and I run my SG at about 1.023ish
By all my levels I current test PH, Nitrate, Nitrite, Alk, Calc.
Tank has been setup for 3 months.

Tank inhabitants:
Maroon Stripped goby
Pair of FireFish Gobies
Yellow Watchman goby
Scooter Blenny
Fire Shrimp
Skunk Shrimp
Emerald Crab (Although I haven't seen him in about a week)
3 Scarlet Hermits
1 Conch
14 assorted snails
Green Star Polyp
Rock of button poylps
Xenia
Cup Coral

My main concern is my yellow watchman goby throwing sand on top the clam. Although since the area I want to put the clam is covered in LR rubble he doesn't dig around their.

If I missed any info let me know. Or if another clam would work better please say so. My GF likes the blue coloration of the maxima.

aquababy
06/19/2004, 11:51 AM
Sounds like you are set up for a clam. I think it better to get a 3" or larger clam as the little ones usually do not do as well - my guess is thatthey require alot more target feeding than a larger one..

Scuba Dog
06/22/2004, 12:41 PM
Thats plenty of light , just keep up the good water quality and keep the Ca and alk levels up clams need those salts lol...also if you get a small clam or any clam be sure to feed the clam some live phytoplankton...

Charlie Davidson
06/24/2004, 06:42 PM
I agree with aquababy, start with a 3inch or better. And I agree with your GF- Maxi's are very beautiful. you are at the right place (reefcentral) to read and learn!