PDA

View Full Version : Coral in a refugium

JoshLangerman
06/19/2004, 10:59 PM
Mr Calfo
I read that you should not have coral that filter feed in a refugium. Is that the wrong advice? I wanted to put some cluster dusters in there and some xenia.
Is that a very bad idea?

Anthony Calfo
06/20/2004, 08:48 PM
it depends on what you are trying to culture or keep safe in refugia, but generally - yes: do not keep corals and other filterfeeders on plankton in your refugium when your intent (as many folks intend) if for your refugium to grow plankton. It really can handicap your refugiums potential to feed your main display of filterfeeders.

The Xenia are OK (actually excellent) because they do not feed on plankton... in fact, they do not feed organismally (on particulates) at all. They lack the physical structures to do so. As such, they are a good means of nutrient export by absorption and place little or no burden on plankton generating potential for your refugium.

kindly,

Anthony

JoshLangerman
06/21/2004, 12:17 AM
OK neat. I'm happy I can put xenia in there. The refugium is something I learned about not to long ago when I was talking to Amy about my algae problem. I think I need it just for nutrient control now. So if it is just going to be for that and not for plankton and pods, are filter feeders still a bad idea. I guess they have waste just like everything else. Because they do it would just add back the nutrients? Thank you for you help
JJ