PDA

View Full Version : Newby Questions Regarding Mantis Shrimp

usaf_trobertson
06/20/2004, 07:05 PM
I have recently been interested in starting my own aquarium and stumbled upon the Mantis Shrimp as a possible pet. For some reason I am fascinated by them, and am having a hard time finding all the information I needed in the forum. This will be my first salt water aquarium, and from what I have learned so far, a 20 gallon tank would be sufficient for the mantis shrimp. I also cant seem to find a good location on where to find one to purchase or how much they would cost. Is there a specific post or link someone could post giving specifics on what type of aquarium, heaters, flitration systems, etc. that I would need to keep the mantis shrimp healthy and happy. If not would someone be kind enough to fill me in on the basics? Also I have read something about people getting mantis shrimps from their order's of live rocks? Would this be a good way of receiving one. I have called a few local pet stores and no one seems to carry any. Thanks for all your help and advice in advance!!

Ted

slylie
06/20/2004, 08:13 PM
heres a start

http://www.blueboard.com/mantis/index.htm

Fuegofish777
06/24/2004, 11:51 PM
ya most fish stores dont carry them because not that many people actually want to keep one. some stores can order one in for you and depending on which kind you want, the cost will vary. if your lucky they store will give you one they find in their live rock. a big peacock mantis can go for about 30-40 bucks. but smaller ones are usually cheaper, like $20 and below...i dont have one but i just started a tank so i can. from what i hear, you really only need a powerfilter, and if you live in phoenix i doubt you will need a heater. www.liveaquaria.com carries peackock mantis but im not sure if you want one that big. one last thing, you are right about people sometimes getting in with their rock, and you will need to buy some for the tank you set up, but i would not depend on one coming in with the rock just in case.