PDA

View Full Version : Chlorodesmis going sexual?

ninjafish
06/25/2004, 10:00 PM
Has anyone had any experience with chlorodesmis (sp?) "maiden's hair" going sexual like caulerpa?
Today I noticed the color was bleached out of it and my water was murky with green - I don't know - gametes? spores?
I really liked this macroalgae. Is there a chance that it was really only caused by me moving my light a little closer to the water.
Thanks in advance.

ninjafish
07/07/2004, 04:40 PM
I just came across this post and was excited until I realized that I am the one that started it.
I may not have been very clear when I first posted. My main clump of maiden's hair bleached out and then turned into a sludge of slime and air bubbles. I really don't know what caused the rapid decline (approx 3 days). I should also mention that I had trasnplanted a couple "tufts" from the main rock to another one about a week before the meltdown. Even though the transplanted tufts were in the same 20gal tank, they did not have any problems and are still fine today. They have grown in length but haven't spread out like I had hoped. Still, I feel that I would have lost all of it if I had left it all on the same rock. Anyone have any ideas on what caused this?
Thanks

houstonhobby
09/06/2013, 09:14 PM
I just had this happen to me. Put my cleanup crew in yesterday and came home to find my tank cloudy today. Naturally I thought I was having an ammonia spike, but the nitrogen was all 0-0-0. Whatever is making the water cloudy my school of chromis seem to like it. I took the plant out, since it is just going to die and make a mess. If I get some babies started up someplace I'll probably be happy about it. I liked the original plant quite a bit.

On the other hand, I read the other day that for many macro algae sexual reproduction may be a way of saying "I don't like it here". They can't move in macro form but move just fine as gametes.

Subsea
09/07/2013, 03:56 AM
Most macro go sexual due to insufficient nutrients. Patrick