PDA

View Full Version : Clams dying

Maury
06/28/2004, 10:40 AM
About 2 months ago, I ordered a crocea clam. it would never really extend his mantle, and slowly wasted away over a 2 week period. After this, the 8 inch maxima, my prized clam, that I've had for over two years, all of a sudden became pinched, and then in a matter of a week, was dead.

Also, two crocea clams that looked beautiful at the LFS, and had been in their tanks for a month, would never open fully in my tank, and in a week were dead.

Now, I have also recently added a gigas, that still looks great, and I have two smaller maximas that are opening fine. I do have a larger maxima, that is showing some signs of pinching, but on some days is opened great.

I have read about the mysterious clam pinching disease, and the freshwater dips some have tried, but I am reluctant to try this.

My water parameters are great, except for a minimally detectable phosphate, which shouldn't really hit the clams, and I keep the tank at 78-79 degrees. tank is a 210 with 3-400W 6500K MH bulbs, supplemented by 4 URI superactinics.

I plan on just watching for the next two months, as see if things stabilize, as I do not want to put a new clam in, if some disease is running through my system.

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks,

Maury

Peabody
06/28/2004, 11:15 AM
Hmmm..that's a tough call. This may be a stupid question, but do you check your salinity with a properly calibrated refractometer?

ALso, could you list your water params for us...it might help.
Thanks! Best of luck!

Maury
06/28/2004, 11:53 AM
Oh yes, use a refractometer and the SG is 1.025

The rest of the water parameters are:

pH, varies 7.95 to 8.2 (monitored with Aquacontroller 2)
a/n/n: 0/0/0.05
Mg: 1400
Ca: 450
Alk: 3.0
Temp 78-79

Tank is a 210 gallon, with circulation from ampmaster 3000 running wide open on 6 returns.

Plus, there were NO pyramidal snails, or the smaller, rice-type parasites on the mantle, inside, or byssal opening upon exam at death.

Also, the byssal threads/organs were not damaged.

Also, no fish in the tank were/are picking at the clams.

Peabody
06/28/2004, 12:25 PM
Yikes...you really have your bases covered. You might have some sort of pathogen or something....perhaps someone more experienced with clam disease will chime in....

Charlie Davidson
06/29/2004, 05:23 PM
Also might be a stupid question but I might learn something! AlK reading in meq/l? if so, it is low. In dKH, I try to keep @11 so in meq/l 4.0.

Maury
06/29/2004, 05:28 PM
Yes, that's in meq/l, and seawater is 3.0, so I figured I wasn't really low there. My sps are growing fine with this level, as are the other clams.

JVHam
06/29/2004, 05:37 PM
I have recently experienced a similar dye off and found the problem to be Pryamidellid Snails. The larve come hitchhiked on clams. Once they are fully grown they look like little (1/4-1/8 in.) white Margarite Snails. THey are hard to spot because they only come out at night and not for that long. I hear that some wrasses such as the six line will eat them. My solution was to give up on clams for now. Let me know if this helps you.

Charlie Davidson
06/29/2004, 05:38 PM
When I went to SPS and clams, I was told to keep my ALK at 10 or higher, I do have one clam that show signs of pinching (which you have prob. read about) but all others seem fine.

Charlie Davidson
06/29/2004, 05:55 PM
Muary, when My alk drops normally because I am away, I have also noticed that the mantles of my (now9) clams withdraw, as do the polips on my sps. no expert here- just trying to help. I will sit back now, tag along, read and learn!