PDA

View Full Version : small maxima feeding

obed2010
06/30/2004, 10:17 PM
Hi guys,
I wanted to know the reason why it is necessary to spot feed baby clams? I am spot feeding my 1.5" maxima and this post is not to contradict accepted clam husbandry practices. I only ask because natural sea water is pristine (low organics) compared to our tank water. If our reef tanks are nutrient rich cesspools, why spot/tank feed clams? If NSW is so pristine, what do baby clams feed on in the wild? Do more clams make it to maturity in the wild or is there just a high mortality rate among baby clams, weather spot fed or not? Once again, I am not questioning accepted practices, I just wonder if there are any studies or proof of increased survival rates. Thanks.

Matt

obed2010
07/01/2004, 07:52 AM
Anyone? I really would like to get some opinions, backed up by facts if possible.:idea:

jda
07/01/2004, 08:00 AM
NSW is full of phyto and zoo plankton that the clams eat - clams eat the phyto, not so much the zoo. There is a constant supply of phyto plankton for them to eat in the ocean.

If a reef tank is a "nutirent rich cesspool", then it is the wrong (or at least not complete) kind of "nutrient" for a clam. Like anything with symbiotic algae, clams will consume some amount of nitrate and phosphate that will aid with photosynthesis of that algae. The byproducts of the photosynthesis feed the clam, but are not enough to sustain a small (under 3") clam. This is where the phytoplankton comes it - it works with the symbiotic algae photosnythesis byproducts to fully feed the clam.

The clam can get enough nitrate and phosphate from your tank. What they cannot get enough of is small food to eat which is why people feed them phytoplankton.

Almost every person who kept a small maxima and not fed them has done a mini study. They almost always die.

obed2010
07/01/2004, 08:34 AM
jda, thanks for the reply. I guess my question is more about spot feeding. I'm not suggesting not feeding the tank, but is there not enough zoo and phytoplankton from having a well established tank, leftover food from feeding herbavore fish, adding foods for corals and filter feeders(DT's, Cyclopeeze, etc...) and cleaning algae off the glass. It seems like we add an excess of nutrients on a daily basis. Even though we add these foods daily, do they occur in higher amounts in natural sea water? I'm just wondering why clams in aquariums need additional food when they don't get it in the wild?

Barry N.
07/01/2004, 09:31 AM
obed2010

I think you hit the nail on the head. :) I agree that if you have a
well established aquarium and have the bio-load you mention, then supplemental feeding may not be needed. One should also keep in mind the more animals you have in this aquarium, the more competitive they will become for food.

With that being said, I would hesitiate to tell someone not to suppliment feed because the cost of doing so is not going to break the bank. :)

Almost every person who kept a small maxima and not fed them has done a mini study. They almost always die.

IMO & IME Juveniles Tridacnids require energy either from food or photosynthesis to survive.

As Knop stated in June/July issue of "Coral"

The topic of feeding giant clams is still open to discussion.

And the debate continues.

jda
07/01/2004, 09:50 AM
Spot feeding makes sure that you feed only what you want to feed while minimizing the "extra". It also makes sure that the clams don't have to compete.

If there is too much "extra" then your nitrate and phosphate levels could reach undesirable levels.

Also, clams eat small particle sizes. Spot feeding phyto also ensures that the clam is exposed to particles are are the right size.

kwl1763
07/07/2004, 09:06 AM
While I agree with a clam 3" or over I think spot feeding these babies we are seeing now is essential even in established tanks.

They need a ton of food to grow and if you use a 2L top (cut the 2L in half) put it over the clam squirt some phyto in there and take it out 30 minutes later. It takes a wholeminute. Why not do it?

maoiwowie
07/08/2004, 02:31 PM
I do not spot feed my 7 baby clams. I experience phenomenol growth.