PDA

View Full Version : The hunt is over for the elusive GIGAS

ReefM@ster
07/02/2004, 01:59 PM
I have been looking for a GIGAS for about a year. Every time clamsdirect would get some they would sell before I could get my hands on one. Well I had given up all hope about a month ago and today I was just browsing around and ran into this beauty.

http://www.reefermadness.us/RMD06210107.htm

She will be arriving tomorrow. I will take some pics an post them.

I know some other people on this board where also looking for GIGAS. they still have three left

http://www.reefermadness.us/RMD06210109.htm

Peabody
07/02/2004, 02:38 PM
Nice! Are you really going to put it in a 90? I know a fellow who won't get one because it will outgrow his 300 too fast and they usually croak when moved.

frink
07/02/2004, 09:52 PM
Jeff`s Exotic
Fish has the same clam for about half the price.

Daveyboi
07/02/2004, 10:27 PM
Originally posted by frink
Jeff`s Exotic
Fish has the same clam for about half the price.

But is the price shipped??

:D
Dave

Julio
07/03/2004, 10:21 AM
the price on therse guys are dropping eveywhere as they become more and more available.

hwynboy
07/03/2004, 12:30 PM
I agree I would never put a gigas in my 280....These truly magnificent creatures will outgrow a 90 in NO TIME FLAT. They get big FAST....not to mention what a calcium whore they are. At the shedd aquarium tour there was a gigas about 6feet long by about 5-6 feet wide. True monsters of the ocean and IMO not to be in a home aquarium. JMO

Peabody
07/03/2004, 06:08 PM
FOr me that's not the biggest problem, they could be moved to a bigger tank, but the problem is they often die even when moving from one tank to the next, or even from one part of the same tank to another part.

OrionN
07/04/2004, 07:02 AM
Originally posted by Peabody
FOr me that's not the biggest problem, they could be moved to a bigger tank, but the problem is they often die even when moving from one tank to the next, or even from one part of the same tank to another part.
I disagree here. I keep T. gigas and find that they are very hardy.
I do agree with several previous post that they will out grow a 90 g very quickly, like within 1 year. My clam go from 1.5 inches to 20 inches in about 5 years. This is with the clam sick for over one year and did not at all over that time.
I shipped my clams from Seattle to Houston back in 1999. Of the clams that I shipped, there were problems and I lost many of my best clams but the Gigas survided. He was at about 6-7 inches at the time. I moved hime to my 100 g tank, then to my 450 g tank. He thrive with all these move without problem. I do make sure that my tanks are stable, and I moved him to a cycled tank. They were not even mature tanks (He moved into a 450 g tank within weeks of starting the tank. Algae cycles were no problem for him.
Minh

MiddletonMark
07/04/2004, 07:07 AM
I also have heard that they move badly [I think it was Larry Jackson who lost his trying to move them?]. Thus I'd put it in the tank that will house it for it's life. If they grow faster than Derasa or Squamosa can ... and you're giving it the light/etc it needs ... that's not very long when healthy.

Just my take.

---
Having said that, I'd encourage you to learn what you can and share everything you learn about keeping these.

Peabody
07/04/2004, 09:05 AM
Minh...I do believe you, and I'm sure you have much more experience with Gigas than I. I have however heard from many people on here about moving troubles. Have you heard this is not the case with people other than yourself (trying to get my facts straight)

ReefM@ster
07/04/2004, 09:31 AM
I wonder how all of those T. gigas where shipped successfully if they are so delicate to being moved.
They do come from some where in the pacific and are shipped probably to California and from there they are probably moved from the wholesaler to a retail operation. From the retailer they are then shipped to someone across the US. Not to mention that during the process they are subjected to some kind of quarantine routine that involves moving from tank to tank. So if they are so delicate how is it that people have them in their tanks?????

I don't think reputable operations where you can get "clams directly" from would carry T. Gigas if these animals where so delicate any attemp to move them would cause them to die.

Not trying to be a smart *** just giving it some thought

ReefM@ster
07/04/2004, 09:40 AM
By the way here she is.

http://reefcentral.com/gallery/data/500/14184DSC00462.JPG

OrionN
07/05/2004, 08:21 PM
Of all the Gigas I have personally seen in tank (5 or so), none have died except my first one. Even this one survided pH of 11+ with my tank crash. He only was killed later when the LFS that keep hime for me cured raw live rock in the liverock tank that they have him in.
Minh