PDA

View Full Version : Would you keep clams with Lysmata shrimps?

Navyblue
07/06/2004, 03:23 AM
Hi all,

I am in the midst of researching on how to keep a clam well. As with many other aspects of this hobby, there are different and often contradicting opinions.

I just want to see through this poll, how many of you guys are having trouble with Lysmata (cleaner, blood or peppermint) shrimps, and how is the chances of having the trouble.

Thanks in advance. :)

MiddletonMark
07/06/2004, 05:14 AM
No problems here, with peppermint and cleaner.
[at 8 months now of both together]

Project Reef
07/06/2004, 06:21 AM
IME with shrimp and clams, I have never seen any consequenses. However there are reports of shrimp bothering clams, I just don't know how widespread it is. Me personally, I've never thought twice about keeping the two animals together.

quantim0
07/06/2004, 07:23 AM
i have had my cleaners (blood and skunk) harass clams when they are new to the tank. i think that they are attracted by whatever the clam releases when it's stressed. they kinds pick at the mantle for a day or two then leave it alone. i think for my next clam i'm going to try to cover it to alleviate some of the stress.

Scuba Dog
07/06/2004, 02:53 PM
never had any problem with my clams and shrimp, I have 3 peps and one skunk and one blood red....

Navyblue
07/06/2004, 07:17 PM
Thanks guys for sharing your experience. :)

So far the statistic seems to be optimistic :D

Gerard Alba
07/08/2004, 05:21 PM
Sure it will be ok ;)

foxstop
07/08/2004, 06:01 PM
Three peps and one skunk cleaner and no problems.
I have one Crocea and one Teardrop Maxima.

So far so good :D

Brian

dragon_slayer
07/08/2004, 07:22 PM
close to 30 peps and 2 scarlet cleaners in my 180g w/ 2 derasa and one maxima never even seen a shrimp close to the clams.

kc

john76
07/09/2004, 01:26 PM
IMO.... shrimp won't harm a healthy animal....

......Unless it's a mantis shrimp:)

jdieck
07/09/2004, 02:32 PM
I think you could have been more specific if you were only referring to the typical and most usual White stripped skunk cleaner and peppermints only.

Although all Lysmatas might be a risk to Clams and some Corals,
In my case I can only atest for Lysmata amboinensis (Skunk cleaner), Lysmata wusdemanni (True Peppermint, a little riskier) and Lysmata debelius (Fire Shrimp), I have had then and never seem them bothering anything other than their propensity to eat the stomatellas. Seems also that the Lysmata Grabhami (The Atlantic skunk cleaner) may be one of the safest.

Other Lysmatas like the Californica or a Rhynchocinetid (Camel Back) sold mistakenly as a Peppermint or the Lysmata prime (Yellow cleaner) I am not so sure about.