PDA

View Full Version : Any members here in the SF bay area?

dapel
07/14/2004, 12:56 AM
Just wondering who here in the mantis forum is in the SF bay area. Just in case I need some local help that's all. Thanks.

-Dan

twocoloreyes
07/14/2004, 07:08 PM
i live in southern san jose, would you consider that sf bay area

dapel
07/14/2004, 07:26 PM
Yes I do. Thanks for your input.

-Dan

T-T-Trigger
07/16/2004, 09:22 PM
I live in the North Bay, what shops are you gonig too? There are definitely good ones and bad ones and I pretty much know them all! Feel free to ask for info if you like.

ttt...

dapel
07/17/2004, 01:52 PM
ttt - I live in Hayward and got my entire tank setup at AC. I just visited that Tropical Paradise in San Leandro yesterday and they had one mantis in stock, around 5" or so but asking $30. I think there's another shop somewhere in Berk but haven't had the time to check it out.

-Dan

twocoloreyes
07/17/2004, 04:52 PM
theres a 4" peacock at a place called King aquarium in east san jose, there asking 20$
I think its a good price.

T-T-Trigger
07/17/2004, 09:07 PM
Aquarium Concepts is a joke, I hate that place. Their fish are sick as often than not, their advice can range from decent, to so-so, to absolute bull, often I have to id fish for them when I am asking about them, and then they don't even care. The only thing going for them is a huge selection and decent prices.

Tropical Paradise is much more dependable, imo - and for reefkeepers it is a #1 destination. Eddie always has mantis' in there for sale, last time I was in he had four - from $19-$29. If he is charging $29, believe me it is probably worth it.

Personable management is what you want to look for in the long run in this hobby, I am always happier to give my money to honest people.

tapsmith
07/24/2004, 06:26 PM
T T T , how do you feel about Atlantis Aquarium? They have very personable owners/management when I go in there. 99% of the time one of the owners is always there.
Currently they do have one mantis there, I've just never asked the price.

T-T-Trigger
07/24/2004, 08:53 PM
I've never been to Atlantis Aquarium, but anytime the owner's are hands-on, even if they are just selling something, I appreciate it.

dapel
07/24/2004, 11:42 PM
All About Fish is a nice store. I just got 6 big *** turbo snails today for $10. Props to their July sale!!

-Dan

T-T-Trigger
07/24/2004, 11:48 PM
They had alot of nice rock last time I was there - did you happen to find any you liked?

tapsmith
07/24/2004, 11:48 PM
What kind of sale are they having?? I was thinking of going out there tomorrow to get some LR.

T-T-Trigger
07/25/2004, 08:42 AM
they have like 3 or 4 things on sale every week or two. right now they have 6 turbos for $10, I think they have 29g tanks on sale (or some similar size). And of course, every sunday is "fish madness" or whatever - 20% off first saltwater item, 30% off second, 40% off third.

dapel
07/25/2004, 06:10 PM
Well I just went by their store real quick and they're all out of the turbos. They will have more in on Thursday. The sale is still 6 for $10, and that will only last up until Saturday which is the end of the month so get it while it lasts. The basic tanks are on sale: 10g for $9.99, 30g for $29.99.

ttt - I found some very nice Figi LR. $3.99/lb over 10lbs. $4.99/lb under 10lbs. I got around 13lbs and that filled up my tank pretty quickly. There was a Marshall Island piece in the Figi tank by accident which I found so they gave it to me for the $3.99/lb price, otherwise they go for around $6.99/lb.

What kind of LR does TP carry? I went there earlier in the weekday and bought like 3lbs of it. Very expensive stuff tho.

And speaking of Mantis shrimps, I just got back from AC and they have 2 new Peacocks in stock. One very large one going for $40 and one medium one for $35. Very beautiful creatures.

-Dan

dwarfatize
07/26/2004, 02:35 AM
I am in the east bay. I got my Cilita frop Tp in San Leandro.

dapel
07/27/2004, 05:38 PM
Upon closer observation of the staff and goods at AC, I'd have to say they are below average. The largest mantis (6"-7") has just molted and the new shell has some sort of defect on it. The customer service was just very bad (I got tired of waiting 15min for some fish while there was nobody in the store) and I can't go to that store anymore.........

-Dan

tlouie
07/29/2004, 07:19 PM
I'm in San Francisco

I actually have a 4-5" Peacock and tank setup that i would potentially be selling.

if your interested, contact me at tinglouie@yahoo.com and let see if we can work out a deal.

Uriel
08/02/2004, 07:01 PM
I am in San Francisco as well.

I don't have any mantis Shrimp yet, though I have a medium sized tank (I think it is 40-50 gallons or so), a smaller 20 g and an octagonal 3g(I used to use this for Praying Mantids, my other obsession).

I suppose that I should get some acrylic ones instead, as these are all glass.

Any help on where to buy decently priced acrylic tanks? I am thinking of 2 or 3 smaller ones eventually, though i would start at just one, I think. What else might I need to get under way,do you think?

I suppose I could start a 'normal' reef in the larger tank, which was my original intention...

-Ron

Uriel
08/02/2004, 07:04 PM
Does anyone have URLs to some of these stores?

I'd like to browse a bit, if possible.
Likewise, what cities are they located in?

Thanks again, Ron

dapel
08/03/2004, 02:45 PM
Great store: Tropical Paradise in San Leandro (Eddie is the man)

Crappy customer service store: Aquarium Concepts in Hayward

Good store: All About Fish in Pleasant Hill