PDA

View Full Version : Do I need to prune mangroves??

Cube Crazy
07/14/2004, 03:38 PM
and if so, how do I?

Thanks,
dave

xcreonx
07/14/2004, 11:40 PM
No you don't need to. they will drop their leaves when they want. i believe you can do more harm to them if you prune them, but that's just a rumor i heard. i dont prune mine. just keep the dead leaves out of your tank as they decompose quickly.

Cube Crazy
07/15/2004, 09:00 AM
Thanks,
Dave

jnb
07/16/2004, 10:12 AM
I agree that you don't need to prune (except to the extent they grow too high for your taste in which case topping them off will allow them to branch out - ) - I do it all the time - sometimes the mangroves don't appear to take to ones changes but they come back - they are tough

Originally posted by xcreonx
No you don't need to. they will drop their leaves when they want. i believe you can do more harm to them if you prune them, but that's just a rumor i heard. i dont prune mine. just keep the dead leaves out of your tank as they decompose quickly.

mellen
07/17/2004, 02:01 PM
Mangroves recover from bad storm damage, so yeah, you can prune them. They are essentially trees in the wild, some get up to 40' over time.

mosshead
07/18/2004, 12:56 AM
Hey cool, I was wondering about the same thing about my mangroves. I have four of them in my refugium and growing pretty fast.