PDA

View Full Version : Need info on clam

sandram
07/14/2004, 07:14 PM
I bought a maxima clam the other day and it seems to be doing ok, but this morning when I was using my baster to get the deitrus off some rocks it let out its zooanthellae. I know that corals do this just for the heck of it sometimes but I am new to clams, and not sure if this is normal or not. If anyone has any idea as to if its ok or not please let me know.
Thanks
Sandra

sandram
07/16/2004, 07:01 PM
anyone??

Reefmaniac1
07/17/2004, 04:17 AM
How do you know that it "let out its zooxanthellae"? Is the color of the clam fading out? If so, yeah, it could be bleaching.

Bleaching is a result of stress. If the clam had just recently been shipped to the store and then you got it without sufficient acclimation time at the LFS, that could be the reason. Any number of other causes to bleaching...

If the clam is truly bleaching out, then it is going to lose its primary source of food. You will need to target feed it in order for it to survive long enough to regain a sufficient population of zooxanthellae. Even target feeding though, may not be sufficient to keep it alive. So, be prepared.

Peabody
07/17/2004, 02:07 PM
Do you have metal halide lights? If not, your clam might be in serious trouble.

sandram
07/17/2004, 07:41 PM
Ok, I have 2 175watt metal halides with 2 actinic vho's as supplements. the clam isnt losing its color and it has anchored into a rock. It is kind of not really spitting but this hairy stuff is hanging from it. It looks like when a coral lets out its zooanthellae, so I figured that was the best way to put it. Any ideas? I want to be able to catch it if something is wrong sooner rather than later.
Thanks,
Sandra

Peabody
07/17/2004, 08:00 PM
Sounds like your clam is set light-wise. He might be expelling uneaten food....do you dose anything?

sandram
07/17/2004, 08:37 PM
i havent dosed anything because i was told he would just filter, but i am going to start direct dosing some phytoplankton since he is only 2 inches in length. I have right now phyto-plex by kent marine that i dose in the tank but im looking into DT's live phytoplankton. Other than the stuff coming out he looks great good color and everything excepth earlier his bottom "lip" was kind of sucked in, but it came back out so im assuming that that part was nothing to worry about. I am just scared that I am enivatebly(spelling wrong) going to screw this upI dont want to kill him so im looking for anything i can find on them but surprisingly there isnt that much on clams that i can find. I know now im rambling so if anyone has any ideas let me know,
Thanks,
Sandra

Peabody
07/17/2004, 10:06 PM
Ya know, I would bet might just be fine. Clams expell uneaten food, and also, for lack of a better word, "poop". Wheen I've seen it, it usually resembels a very fine thread. I've seen this, but usually after I feed phyto.

You're lights are fine, and I assume your water params are as well. As always with clams, measure CA and ALK regularly with good (like salifert) test kits and keep them 425-450ish and 11-12dkh or so. If you don't have a refractometer, checking your hydrometer against one is HIGHLY reccomended.

You obviously care about the well being of the clam, and that's awesome! If you're really into clams I HIGHLY suggest reading Giant Clams by Daniel Knop....you will learn a lot and become a better clam keeper.

sandram
07/18/2004, 06:48 PM
Thanks that makes me feel better, but this morning when i looked at my clam underneath where is has anchored himself is a cottony looking thing. I am not sure what this is or if its bad. if anyone can help me out please do i feel so lost.
Thanks,
Sandra