PDA

View Full Version : When a Mantis sheds, what should you NOT do?

Ken2001
07/23/2004, 11:00 AM
Gojira, my peacock, shed this morning. I did a 50% water change two days ago, after the massive gorging on hermits, crabs, and snails of the last week or so. I had planned to do some additional maintenance this weekend, but am now wondering if I should hold off?

I know things like moving the rocks of Gojira's cavern is out of the question. What about additional water changes? What about changing the carbon? Should I hold off on these, or go ahead with them this weekend? Should I leave the lights off to keep the tank dim. Also, I was planning to inject calk in a few aptasia - since this will spike the PH somewhat, should I hold off, or is there little additional risk because of the shed?

If this mantience won't harm my mantis, I'll go ahead with them - otherwise, I can hold off for a few days/week.

BTW, the shedding appears to be near complete. Gojira is now back on its feet, alert, and pops half way out of its home every time I move around near the outside of the tank. Limbs look normal, and no sprung arms.

Thanks,

Ken

slylie
07/23/2004, 12:03 PM
i wouldnt do anything for a week.

.. and try to steal the molt from your mantis... for fun.

DensityMan
07/23/2004, 12:10 PM
I've never found a molt of Tim's lying about, but I have read that the mantis will more often than not consume the molt for nutrition/health of his new exoskeleton...

Regarding the maintenance I would think that changing the carbon would be fine, but might hold off on the water change and anything that involves moving rock-work. Just to keep stress minimized. ;)

Ken2001
07/23/2004, 01:17 PM
Yeah, I thought I'd read that mantises, like lobsters, eat their molts, so it's not a good idea to swipe it. Besides, I don't think Gojira would let me take it without splitting my thumb!

OK, I'll leave the other maintenance issues alone for a week, and just stick to a water change.

Thanks,

Ken