PDA

View Full Version : 2nd half in tank but not without heartache

hopkinkm
07/29/2004, 12:34 PM
Got the rest of my rock today...and let me say its a testament to the excellent packaging that TBS does that anything survived at all.

Anybody who has gotten rock knows they quadruple bag and put everything in a syrofoam box which goes inside the cardboard one. It takes a feat of sheer lunacy for something to go wrong.

Enter the cargo handlers at the philadelphia airport.

of the 3 boxes two were intact, one of them a tad damp but ok. Box number 3 was shredded (pics to follow soon) and soaked.

Add to that the fact that my shipment left on the last flight of the day which would have arrived before the cargo station in Syracuse closed. I would have been talking about this last night were it not for the fact that the plane was delayed, so after talking to a kind lady at USAIR who told me it was going to be available at 5:45 am this morning, and would be ready for me.

Guess what, for god only knows what reason they held the package for a later flight which touched down at noon today. So after more than a day in limbo and slowly leaking I got my stuff,

Critters were ok, half the rock was ok, the other half is questionable. It stunk more than anything I have ever smelled but If I keep on the water changes I should be ok.

Too bad I had what looked like a brain coral in the bad box, bleached.

So the moral of the story is, Richard and the folks at TBS, nice job picking the rock, thanks for the surprises...and DONT EVER CONVINCE YOURSELF THAT YOU OVERPACKAGE ANY PRODUCTS!

You might want to think about scheduling shipments so they dont have to go through philly. I talked with the guy at the cargo desk who has worked up and down the coast and he said they are the worst there. Pittsburg is better if you can get it there. Knowing that I'd have gladly waited a couple days till you could ship through there, and I'm sure TBS customers would too. Just a suggestion.

and thanks for all the goodies.

Kory

Boomerblaster8
08/01/2004, 09:30 PM
I recieved my shipments at Philly and I didn't have any problems, all of my boxes were in great shape, but I only got the 20 gallon package.

hopkinkm
08/02/2004, 11:51 AM
must be the guys who load the planes, cause on both of my shipments one of the boxes was mangled, unfortunately the worst of it was on the 2nd shipment.

So the moral is to philly is ok, through philly is a no-no.

ANY other TBS customers in the N.E. have these kinds of problems?

BTW, despite my best efforts to save them both the condy's died. They were pretty shriveled and shrunken, and despite my efforts to keep the water pristine they never recovered.

Kory