PDA

View Full Version : Funny mantis........

dapel
08/03/2004, 02:59 PM
So then to those who remember about my tank setup/situation, I finally moved last weekend and yesterday I stopped by TP and talked to Eddie about one of their new mantids. I got her and carefully adapted her to her new environment and she's doing great.

Thing is I have 7 blue damsels and 6 larger turbos in there and she doesn't seem to be bothered by any them. The tank is pretty large for just one mantis so she was running around the tank and digging holes everywhere. Then she would lay on her back and relax in the hole, or do some weird summersaults. When I would come up to her she'd flip right over and hide again with her little two eyeballs staring at me. This morning I counted 6 damsels. But other than that it's been interesting watching her move around.

The mantis is around 3.5"- 4" and is a darker red color, with yellow antenna things. Poking her head in and out of the crevices seems to be favorite thing to do. Eddie tells me this mantis is very aggressive, yes, during the transport she was flicking every chance she gets. While in the tank I had my green fish net next to her and she would come up and give it a hard flick.

I'll get pics up after Wed once I get my home connection back online. But yeah, any comments?

T-T-Trigger
08/03/2004, 04:06 PM
Can't wait to see it! :)

Does Eddie have any other beauties in there right now?

dapel
08/03/2004, 04:52 PM
trigger - he's got one greener mantis about the same size as mine. He says these two are both the same species, just different colors.

He got in one larger peacock last week along with the one I got yesterday, but sold it right away.

-Dan

p.s. I just found out my comcast won't be up until Friday....

dapel
08/05/2004, 12:21 PM
A little update: the mantis doesn't seem to like to eat the damsels. The fish has been as close as an inch away from the mantis and she still doesn't seem to be bothered by them. I'm gonna try some frozen food.

T-T-Trigger
08/05/2004, 09:17 PM
fish are not smasher food. crustaceans are, but frozen food is the best idea.

dapel
08/06/2004, 10:59 AM
trigger - Yeah I figured that the mantis isn't interested in quick damsels. Actuallly the mantis has killed a few of them, but doesn't really eat it, just lets it float around the tank where I have to remove it. I'm inclined to try frozen mysis.

T-T-Trigger
08/07/2004, 04:40 PM
Saw your pics, they look good! Congratulations man.