PDA

View Full Version : Bumble Bee Gobies In A Reef Tank?

staunched
08/06/2004, 06:00 AM
anybody ever tried bumble bee gobies in pure saltwater? ive read they're occasionally found in it and am thinking about throwing some in my tank. also curious about halfbeaks?

Frick-n-Frags
08/06/2004, 07:15 AM
I believe several people have run them in their reefs. I know for sure there are black mollies in several reeftanks. Their color gets really velvety black in salt water vs that sort of faded , bits of silver color(like the black paint is chipping off) they get in fresh water. Obviously brackish is where they are the happiest.

I've been tempted to try monos or red scats too. Too bad I'm not really that into having much of a fishload in my system, so I'll just keep thinking about it for the time.

Now if I add another 75gal tank to my system, maybe I'll add a couple itsy fish at that time..... :D

SciGuy2
08/06/2004, 08:30 AM
Mollies are great additions to LR curing vats. They really go after the hair algae. But they don't do very well with the high current in most reef tanks, IME.

Never tried bumble bees though. But like the mollies I figure that they wouldn't like a lot of water movement either.

technoshaman
08/06/2004, 10:59 AM
Never seen anyone do bumblebee gobies. Have seen large scats and monos in full seawater. A school of Monodactylus argenteus makes a really neat display. Also there is a brackish catfish Arius seemani - a.k.a. Colombian Shark Cat that can be acclimated to full strength seawater and is a stunningly elegant fish however not safe with small mobile inverts or fish in my experience.

Some of the brackish puffers also I've heard of people acclimating to salt but no idea on long term success / health of animal.

staunched
08/06/2004, 07:32 PM
cheers guys. reason i ask is im running out of tank room as im bout to start breeding some clarkii clowns. i had a brackish tank with half beaks and bumble bee's and i dont really want to take them back to the lfs. i know bigger freshwater fish dont mess with bumblebees as they're toxic but i wonder if my tangs would realise. as mentioned i think current will prob be a problem. while on the subject though one scat i would put in my reeftank are the asian (yellow polkerdot) scats. they are beautifull fish but we cant get them here in australia.

Runner
08/09/2007, 03:28 PM
I know, I know. Posting in a 3-year old thread. :D

So did you ever try putting the bumblebees in salt water? I was wanting to take mine from brackish up to full salt...

sr3w
08/09/2007, 03:56 PM
Runner, do it. They work great in reefs, if my experience is any indicator.