PDA

View Full Version : Algae control -- Asterina stars?

ReneX
08/07/2004, 01:02 PM
One of the toughest things about keeping a mantis in a reef environment is the lack of a cleanup crew. They eat snails. They eat hermits. So algae buildup in a coral and mantis tank can be a problem.

My wennerae has been living in her tank for about two months now and the best solution to an algae free tank is low nutrients, but one biological control does seem to be working for me. Asterina stars, also marketed as mini stars, don't seem to be on her menu, possibly because they move very slowly. She'll eat bristle worms if they're wigging out in the open, but even if knocked off the tank walls and dangled in front of her, my mantis shows little curiosity about them. The worst she did was use a stranded one as burrow material :)

These things were brought up in the past as a possible algae control method but no one seemed to have tried them at the time. They eat film algae and other detritus and will help themselves to dying tissue and carrion as well. Hair algae does not seem to be on the menu. Mine haven't bothered my corals a bit though they get accused of eating SPS sometimes. That probably varies by species and the more colorful ones seem to snack on tissue, but they're about as common as the "dangerous" kinds of bristle worms. I.e., not very. Corals in the tank include: star polyps, mushrooms, ricordea, caulastrea, zoanthids, and clavularia.

The only thing is, for them to have much effect a really high stocking density is needed. I've got more than 20 of them in a three gallon tank. Happily, they also reproduce like mad by division so there's really no need (and little market) for wild-caught ones. These things are usually hitchkikers, though there are a few places that sell them.

Just a heads-up for those of you who don't relish the task of sticking your hand in the tank for cleaning. It's not a perfect solution and the tank is far from spotless, but they help!

crafty_50mitchell
08/07/2004, 01:45 PM
Great topic ReneX,
I house my G.Chiragra in a ten gallon nano reef which is moderately stocked with mushrooms, candy cane, star polyps, sun coral (tubastrea aurora), small pipe organ and a few other random frags. Algae was at one time a problem for me due to supplementing the tank a little heavily for its load and a lack of competition for the algae growth, which brings me to my suggestion. Macro algae is great competition for your run of the mill algae's when it comes to trace elements employed for growth, I keep calurpa (type of macro) in a DIY fuge, but to those who dont have a fuge you can place it in a area of the tank with low to moderate flow. Besides keeping algae in check it also makes a great sanctuary for all sorts of pods which definetaly help me with getting rid of uneaten organics.
Brian

crafty_50mitchell
08/07/2004, 01:49 PM
Oh sorry, I completely neglected to point out that I do have some mini stars in this tank and they do a good job, unfortantetely I have not noticed any frequent reproduction via division. Im going to do a little research into these guys later, but while we're on the topic do you have any links you can recommend regarding mini-stars?
Brian

dc
08/08/2004, 08:35 AM
I'll have to try them. I have tons of them in my main tank. Throw them into my Harlequin tank when regular stars are not available.

Jonny
08/08/2004, 11:15 PM
why not put some cheato or macro alegea in the tank to obsorb nutrients aswell?

Ken2001
08/09/2004, 01:31 PM
Has anyone tried to keep a sea cucumber, like a tiger-tail, with a mantis? Have they had any success? Obviously, if the mantis attacked it, then you'd have problems w/ the tubules of Culvier (sp?), but I wonder if the mantis would even notice a cuke?

tlouie
08/09/2004, 03:19 PM
I use giant turbo for algae control on my matis tank, 3-4" diameter ones...

Ishkabibble5710
08/10/2004, 01:08 AM
the mini stars are great i have no snails in my 20 gallon and the stars keep it pretty much spotless except for the original clean up.

ReneX
08/10/2004, 10:32 AM
As for macros, one of the prettiest and least invasive is halimedia. It's a calcium pig but given that it grows quickly and can effectively compete with nusance forms in a reef. Animals as a cleanup crew are obviously a last resort because they aren't really removing much in nutrients from the water, they're just cleaning up the unsightly algae which has removed the nutrients. Some macro can be really invasive or unsightly...not everyone wants chaeto in their main reef and even with good nutrient control, reefers will often get a little algae in an otherwise healthy tank. For me, the asterina stars are nice to look at and are a good way to deal with excess film algae and the starts of hair algae. Keeping algae under check doesn't mean a tank with no algae, but it's certainly possibly to replace unsightly kinds with handsome macro and a crew of grazers.