PDA

View Full Version : Littleneck cleaner clams

Charlie Davidson
08/15/2004, 04:34 PM
@ a 2 months ago, I and another ( R/c person, I respect) answered a question from a person about "cleaner" clams for sale (@$4-5) on a web-site. I could not find this thread to reply again------------------- I was wrong!!!! the clams that I call little necks- WILLand DO live in tanks, I have kept 2- locally found- in my "river" tank for over one month (sal.1.017). As for the part of cleaning water- I am still up in the air about this! They say that at on time, the bay was 100 times cleaner due to oysters!!! I have been unable to keep these for long. I say save your money for-?

Chaotic Reefer4u
08/16/2004, 03:52 PM
wow, never haerd of them.......

Charlie Davidson
08/18/2004, 03:54 PM
Most seafood stores on the east coast sell them (little necks). @25 cents each. Great eating! This guy was looking at a web site that wanted to sell him them for 5 bucks each, as a "cleaner clam"----- I am still glad I lead him away!!
I do wonder if I should try 10 or so bigger ones in my fuge!

john76
08/20/2004, 04:03 PM
Aren't littlenecks from temperate waters?

Charlie Davidson
08/22/2004, 08:38 AM
I tried them (store bought) once before in my reef tank, @81-83 deg. They died in the first few days. I found some in the sand on along an Island I frequent a month or so ago and put them in my "river tank", it has no heater and I set A/c to 85deg when I leave for the work week. They are doing fine in that tank.

gophia
08/23/2004, 08:00 AM
My girlfriend bought 3 pounds of these clams to eat last week when we were in Newbrunswick (sea food is dirt cheap in New Brunswick!). I decided to save a few (4 to be exact) and placed them in a spear 10 gallon with one maxijet 400 and no lights. The tank tamp is ~80F and the waters thay came from is ~70F.

Within a day they all buried themselves in the sand with only their pseudopods sticking out. I feed the tank with 1 capful of DT which gave the water a greenish color. I was amazed that within an half hour the water was crystal clear.

If they survive a month in my 10g, I will transfer some to my 75g to increase the biological filtration.
My only concern is the temp difference. I hope it dosen't stress them out too much but I think if I can keep them feed they may adapt.

So far so good.