PDA

View Full Version : 1074 / U-shaped pipe X2 ?

nixon
08/23/2004, 10:02 PM
Hello, can you help me on this one?

I just rode on the FAQ of the french Tunze website something quite strange about the 1074 / 2 outlet (The one with 317gph). They say it could be dangerous to add an U-shaped Pipe to the one already in the outlet and it’s better to buy a second outlet if someone wants to increase the waterflow.

Can you explain to me why it is so dangerous? I already bought a spare U-Shaped pipe because I thought it could be even safer to add this one to the first. In fact, I don’t even need the supposed added flow: 317 gph is ok for my sump, but I just thought that could be a good idea to increase safety if one of those parts ever stop to run..

Can u confirm or deny this?

Best regards.

rvitko
08/24/2004, 06:55 AM
It is not recommended for a few reasons.

First, a second U tube in a low flow situation of say 300-400gph only puts 150-200gph per tube and this is so slow air bubbles can accumulate in the tube and stop the flow.

Second, A flow rate over about 500-600gph is too much for the inlets and could allow the tubes to stop because of a shortage of water.

Third, at the very least if you found an optimal in between flow rate, it is likely the installation will be noisy

nixon
08/31/2004, 01:51 AM
Thanks a lot for your really clear answer

Cya