PDA

View Full Version : Halameda ????

s dubay
08/27/2004, 11:34 AM
I recently bought a halameda plant and it was in a bag for around 3 hours when i got it home i planted it and some of the plant had turned a white color,does that mean that it it is dieing?The color has changed to a light green color now but some of it is still a dark green like it was when i purchased it!Anybody know anything about this?I have no idea if it is dieing or if this is normal!

sjvl51
08/27/2004, 01:05 PM
Mine does this on a regular basis. In the morning it is light green/white and then darkens through the day. I wouldn't worry. Watch your calcium - if it drops the plant will die off.

Vickie

s dubay
08/27/2004, 01:23 PM
Okay great!Thnaks alot,i really like this plant and plan on getting a few more if this one grows good!
Jeremy

horge
08/31/2004, 09:46 PM
Hi :)

Halimeda chloroplasts migrate.
That means the green stuff can travel around, and one guess at why Halimeda thalli turn white at night is this:

With no possibility of photosynthetic profit, the chloroplasts are drawn further in, behind the calcicareous armor where even persistent herbivores can't get to 'em.

In the daytime, well, herbivores or no, there's photsynthesizing to do, so the green buggers come right up to the surface where we can see 'em.

horge