PDA

View Full Version : wavebox question

Mantis
09/02/2004, 09:52 AM
Roger, thanks for your help as always.

I'm going to order a 72x36x30 tank soon. Overflow is going to be located in the middle of one of the short sides. I want to use the double wavebox option, one on each side of the overflow.

How high do you think the wave will be with this configuration. I need to know how far down to make the overflow so I won't have water splashing out of the tank.

I was thinking the overflow should be 2 inches below the bottom of the Eurobrace, but wanted to check with you.
Thanks

rvitko
09/02/2004, 11:38 AM
The overflow will reduce the wave height as it dampens the surface energy. For that volume one wavebox should give a surface wave of about 1/2" and two set in inverse at opposite sides will likely make a 1" wave. I think I would start with one. My experience is there is not much more splashing noise, especially with a durso system which evens the flow rate. It is like how a good muffler takes a way the pulses of the pistons and makes an even tone and steady flow. Just don't overdo the return volume and you should be fine. Probably 1500gph would be an ideal.

Mantis
09/02/2004, 12:14 PM
Is it not possible to use two on the same side. I want as big a wave as possible and this tank is going to be three sides viewable serving as a room divider. So putting one at the opposite end is really not possible.

So if you can put two on the same side, how big would that surface wave be?

rvitko
09/02/2004, 12:34 PM
Yes, you can use two on the same side in synchronous mode. I expect the wave would also be about 1". I really would start with one to see what you think. The point isn't the surface wave, it is the wave motion below the surface.