PDA

View Full Version : sad news i think please help.

trueblackpercula
09/02/2004, 06:27 PM
I have been looking for a teardrop clam for almost a year. Found someone around here that had them. I sent money via pay pal $215 bucks paid for next day air because I live in New York and the clam was coming from Cali. Well after waiting for the clam and it was to arrive at 10:30 a.m. but it never came I had to get it at the FedEx warehouse it was 4:30 p.m. the clam was acclimated for almost 40 minutes with a slow drip and them added to the tank. The mantel is shrunk in the shell and the shell is wide open. It still looks like water is going through the small tub because it moves and the clam when I touched it with my finger moved so very slightly. Is there anything that I could do or is it dead just like I think it is?

trueblackpercula
09/02/2004, 06:28 PM
one more thing could have the long trip stressed it out and it will come around?also i have the lights on should i turn them off? i did block the light with a plate over the side were the clam is so that i did not have direct light.

Rothie
09/02/2004, 07:15 PM
Turn the lights out and let it rest for the night.Hopefully it is just stressed.You should know one way or another by morning.

trueblackpercula
09/03/2004, 08:01 AM
yup its DEAD i dont think i will ever buy one from cali again way to far for the clam to adjust , not to mention i spent a lot.

john76
09/03/2004, 09:26 AM
I'd definitely get my money back from Fed-ex. If I pay for 10;30 delivery it better be there by 10:30. That's completely their fault.

Also, it must have died from the heat or something.... or already been dead. An extra couple hours shouldn't have killed it. Some people here have reported successful shipping going 2nd day air (48hrs).

trueblackpercula
09/03/2004, 10:08 AM
well there is nothing i can do about it. the seller says he will return my money for the shipping but i am out the rest. what else can i do ?

john76
09/03/2004, 10:18 AM
Beats me. I'm not to sure how shipping insurance for perishables works. Was it at least packed well?

acroconut
09/03/2004, 11:12 AM
trueblackpercula,
Really sorry to hear about the loss of that clam. Know from the other teardrop thread, that you were really looking forward to getting that clam. Are you sure the seller specified that the clam be shipped to your door? The reason I ask is because some vendors prefer that the buyer pick up the clam/coral/fish at the Fedex warehouse. They claim that an early morning pick up at Fedex warehouse is far less stressful on livestock than it is to be carted around in the hot fedex truck a significant portion of the day. For the most part I'd have to agree. but if the seller agreed to send this clam Fedex next day and did so.....he must not have specified to the door delivery. Fedex should have a record of this. I would check, cause it sounds to me like the seller may have messed up big time.....and he should refund all your money or get a black eye in the vendor experience forum OR your clam was on the fedex truck all day and never got delivered to your door...in which case you can file a claim against fedex. Like I already said, fedex does have that information. Again, regrets :(

trueblackpercula
09/03/2004, 11:32 AM
the shipment was help up at the airport becuase of the GOP convention in newyork . the driver already left for the early deliverys and the clam did not make it to the fedex warehouse until 1:15 pm . so they did mess up not the seller. so now does the seller give back the money for shipping and the clam or just the shipping? its not his fualt its fedex fualt. but in anycase Fridmani
the seller tried everything in his power to get the box to me in time i just never got to me becuase of the delay from the airport .
in anycase he did say he would send my shipping money back to me but what happens to the $165 bucks for the clam? the shipping was $51. NOW I KNOW WHY THEY CALL THEM TEAR DROPS.

pecan2phat
09/03/2004, 11:36 AM
Hey Micheal, sorry to hear about the lost. I know you were looking for a Tear Drop for a while. I agree with the amount of shipping time it takes from Cali. It's been a hit or miss for me. I made an order for a pair of Maximas & they did not fare well, maybe due to the shipping. Then again, I just bought a 5" BS Squamie also shipped from Cali & he looked great from the start. It might also be how a shipper processes his shipment, for instance: a lot of small retailers will wait till the last minute (cut off time) that the carrier will accept the package for guaranteed arrival. They will pack and drop off the boxes to UPS, Fedex at like 8 or 9 pm assuring that the live animals spend as little time as possible in shipment.
I also lost the Tear Drop that I bought from reefbum a while back. The rest of the clams that I picked up from him are doing well though.
hey don't worry, the next one will be great.
I'm also thinking that you did not purchase the Tear Drop from a vendor, hence no arrive alive guarantee? Was that Tear Drop from Fridmani?

trueblackpercula
09/03/2004, 11:44 AM
yes it was from him and he has some nice stuff but what goo is it if you cant get it here alive. thanks everyone for all the encouragemnet. but for right now got to explain to the wife that the clam is dead and there is no money for the rent hehehehehe. wow this really stinks I dont think I will do it again. I have bought all of my corals and zoos online and never had a problem like they say there is always a first time.
P.S. anyone got a teardrop thats close by for pickup?

john76
09/03/2004, 11:56 AM
Try www.tridacnareef.com ..... He's in NY state. I've been really contemplating ordering from him but I just don't have anymore room in my 75.

Vili_Shark
09/03/2004, 01:11 PM
Hi

I really dont think the clam is dead due to long shipping.
Cali to NY is nothing.
LAX wholesellers are selling all over the world,to Europe, to the far east, so the east coast is a piece of cake IF the guy knows how to pack and IF the Clam was alright prior to packing.

I understand the Clam was only 6 hours late.
You should make a conference call with Fedex and the dude you bought the Clam from.
It can be one of the following reasons:
1.He did not pack well
2.Clam was not in a good condition prior to packing
3.Fedex did not ship/store the clam in the right conditions, maybe exposed it to extreme tems. etc.

Try to make this call, cause if a clam dies when it just gets to you it's not fair, just forget about Cali is too long, as I said LAX people are sending Clams for 40hrs trips as well with 0% DOA.

acroconut
09/03/2004, 03:27 PM
I agree with Vili_Shark regarding the distance issue. I live outside of Pittsburgh, Pa. All 4 of my clams have come from California, and all arrived in great shape. I think you should talk to the Fedex people. You paid for next day delivery, and they did not deliver. They atleast owe you cost of shipping. Not much consolation in light of how much you lost though.

pecan2phat
09/03/2004, 07:06 PM
He'll refund your shipping cost due to Fedex not making their committment, thus the sender can file for a refund. So if the actual shipping cost was said amount, it's no money out of his pocket. What you should find out from the seller is if the packages was insured. I believe with most overnight service (Fedex, UPS, DHL, USPS), there might be an minimum amount of insurance coverage incorporated into the rate. But again, this might be for damages versus livestock.

If you mailed an overnight package through the USPS, whether it was for $13.65 or $130.65, if it does not get there by the committed time, you just bring in your label receipt and they refund your entire shipping amount.

Barry N.
09/03/2004, 09:27 PM
LAX wholesellers are selling all over the world,to Europe, to the far east, so the east coast is a piece of cake IF the guy knows how to pack and IF the Clam was alright prior to packing.

I also agree with the above statement.

What was the temp of the water when you received the maxima?

If the shipper is approved by the carrier and pays for Priority Overnight and is not in a rural area then they will refund the shipping cost if not delivered by 10:30 in most areas.

Sorry for your loss!!

Znut Reefer
09/04/2004, 01:02 AM
And if it was insured, fedEx will refund your money if it was their fault. I have heard they will refund shipments of clams and lobsters only. No other livestock. This happened to me with two clams. They were a day late and were suppose to be overnighted. Strange the crocea didn't make it but the maxima sure did.

trueblackpercula
09/04/2004, 07:11 AM
well after talking with the seller we both came up with something that works out for the both of us. we will split the loose so in anycase i only loose half my money. but its better to have half than none. i cannot blame him it was not his fault. there was no insurance on the package and yes they will refund the money for shipping. so after all that looking and waiting it just wast not worth the time or effort and yes i lost a $100 bucks but so did he. maybe next time i will get one that will make the shipping.
thanks everyone for alll the help it sure did help. NOW WERE DO I GET ONE HEHEHEHE

OrionN
09/09/2004, 07:02 PM
A heathy well pack clam will last 36+ hrs shipping.
I do not believe that shipping for only 24 hrs is responsible for your clam's death. It is possible that O2 was not use and the clam died due to lack of O2.
Most shipper knows this and use O2 when they pack their clams. The shipping cost return is from Fed-Ex because they cannot meet their guarantee of deliver by 10:30. I believe that there is no guarantee on the value of the shipment (other than in case of obvious dammage due to shipping or lost in shipping)
Minh

Barry N.
09/09/2004, 08:21 PM
A heathy well pack clam will last 36+ hrs shippi

I agree with that statement. I have seen then routed to the wrong city and get to the proper place 52 hrs later and no problems.

pecan2phat
09/09/2004, 10:29 PM
That's why it's also risky to purchase from out of state hobbyist due to most not having a cylinder of O2 readily available to properly pack livestock. Shrooms, Zoos and most coral will usually make it, but for fish and clams, I would feel so much better purchasing from an established reseller who is set up with the proper equipment.