PDA

View Full Version : Mantis shrimp needed...

sacs4010
09/18/2004, 12:20 AM
Hello again everyone. Well, I finally moved and got my ten gallon mantis tank set up at my new house here in Washington state. So now that I have everything set up, I need a manti shrimp. Since I have never even seen one in person or know much about them, I am not sure what kind I would like. What do you all suggest I get for my ten gallon tank? If anyone has a small mantis shrimp they want to get rid of, please contact me ASAP and I will check with my LFS too. Thanks everyone.

PS Tank pictures coming soon.

Bradley C Sacs
Issaquah, WA

10 gallon All Glass tank
20 pounds live sand
around 10 to 20 pounds of live rock
one aquaclear 300 and two aquaclear minis
all filters running carbon and pads
100 watt titanium submersable heater
28 watt compact 50/50 lights
3/4 watt lunar blue moon light

kd7ctv
09/18/2004, 02:08 AM
sent email to you.

crafty_50mitchell
09/19/2004, 04:46 PM
Where is Issaquah ecactly? My girlfriend and I moved to chicago within the past year from Coeur d'alene, Idaho so we've spent a considerable amount of time going through WA (usually to go see Mariners games and mountain bike Rainer mountain). Also sent you a pm.
Cheers,
Brian

crafty_50mitchell
09/19/2004, 04:47 PM
Oh never mind you dont seem to have allowed pm's...

sacs4010
09/19/2004, 08:44 PM
I should be allow PMs. Issaquah is near Bellevue Washington. It is about twenty minutes east of Seattle by car. It is right off I-90.

Bradley C Sacs
Issaquah, WA

sacs4010
09/21/2004, 08:50 PM
Thanks for everyone's help so far. I would like to find a mantis shrimp locally. The only problem ordering online, or through a pet store they really do not know what species they are selling. I do not want a mantis shrimp that will get to large for my tank, or something I do not want. Anyways, if anyone can help please let me know and again thanks for everyone's help.

Bradley C Sacs
Issaquah, WA

graff71884
09/21/2004, 11:06 PM
good luck finding one period. my search is going on month 5 with no luck for any kind of shrimp. I will never find one if i want to pick the species.

sacs4010
09/22/2004, 12:30 AM
I would not give up much hope. I have had two good offers for mantis shrimp in the past month. The only reason why I did not take them up was because my tank was not setup yet. Good luck to the both of us.

Bradley C Sacs
Issaquah, WA

EzRida206
09/22/2004, 08:18 PM
Bradley, have you tried going around to the LFS in your area and asking them if they can order one for you? That way you can avoid shipping costs.
Good luck, it took me a while to find mind but I did get one, for free thx to a generous member here.

sacs4010
09/22/2004, 09:26 PM
The local fish stores can get mantis shrimp in, they just cannot pick what species that get. I have one on order and I may get one in two weeks (the next time they reorder live stock), but who knows what kind they will be and if they will out grow my tank.

Bradley C Sacs
Issaquah, WA

graff71884
09/22/2004, 11:00 PM
Wish I was in WA, I am in St. Louis and I can't get a damn thing. I am even good friends with my local pet store owner and he has called every store and tie he knows of in the area and can't pull anything off. So, I am still looking needless to say! I won't quit though, thats for sure!!!!

sacs4010
09/23/2004, 01:58 AM
That is odd. I would think almost every distributer can get one in stock. If all else fails buy some uncured live rock. Anything from the Florida coast. You have decent chances of finding one in there. Most poeple that I know have had them hitchhike in Florida Keys live rock.

Bradley C Sacs
Issaquah, WA

sacs4010
09/24/2004, 01:52 AM
I am still looking for a mantis shrimp.

Bradley C Sacs
Issaquah, WA

sacs4010
09/29/2004, 02:51 PM
Sorry to keep on replying to this post. I just want to keep it up so I may find a mantis and I am still looking for one.

Bradley C Sacs
Issaquah, WA

leaffish75
09/29/2004, 03:13 PM
sacs,

I'm looking for one too and I havent found anything. I'm willing to order one ofline but I cant find any place that sells them. tampabay does but they want $80 for shipping.
any one know of any other sites.?

sacs4010
09/29/2004, 03:55 PM
The problem is that some websites do sell mantis shrimps, but they have no idea of what species they are. So you will not know what kind you are ordering. Good luck.

Bradley C Sacs
Issaquah, WA

sacs4010
09/29/2004, 10:31 PM
Still looking for a mantis shrimp.

Bradley C Sacs
Issaquah, WA

crafty_50mitchell
09/30/2004, 05:22 AM
sacs...why do you keep posting this over and over again? And why dont you just order one from you lfs? Granted you cant specify the species you will get but if my distributers are any gauge of what get shipped most often as "mantis shrimp" it will be a wennerae, or chiragra..not a O.s. which would outgrow your tank. Take it from me fella specifiying the species you want to order is an excercise in futility, unless you know of someone at a distributer who has an interest in stomatopods (havent found one yet). Plus ordering it through your lfs is going to be alot cheaper than online (no shipping costs there), unless of coarse your in there every other day asking about mantis shrimp over and over, in that case the lfs might just have you pay alot for a wennerae that otherwise would go for ten bucks.
Good luck,
Brian

sacs4010
09/30/2004, 12:37 PM
Well, my LFS are not able to get any in most of the time. I have my tank all set up just sitting there. So if I can find one here first and I know what species it is, then I do not mind paying extra for it.

Bradley C Sacs
Issaquah, WA

dropped82
10/03/2004, 06:58 AM
go to TBS they sell them for 9.99...im guessing the ones most people get as hitcchikers on their LR from there...i think i N. Wenn,

sacs4010
10/03/2004, 02:20 PM
I do not mind paying some extra money for shipping, but to buy one from them would cost too much. Don't you agree?

Bradley C Sacs
Issaquah, WA

dropped82
10/04/2004, 10:23 AM
well yes and no...to some people who has a LFS thats gets them all the time yes but like me and alot of people on here no thats cheap cause most sights like Foster's and a few others charge triple that for them...also saltwaterfish.com has them for sale with free shipping...it doesnt say what species but if you get one let me know cause im thinkin of orderin one...free shipping i think would be worth it

graff71884
10/04/2004, 02:26 PM
Free shipping on saltwater.com is only if you spend like $79 or more and there is a surcharge too.

dropped82
10/05/2004, 07:01 AM
even though above the add to cart icon is free shipping i think it was on that particular item...i didnt look any further but thats what it is made out to be

ihatter
10/05/2004, 04:28 PM
no its not I tried to order one and they add the charge...

sacs4010
10/05/2004, 08:53 PM
We just have to keep up the good fight and keep trying to get our mantis shrimp. Good luck everyone. As for buying from an online store, I still do not like the fact that you do not know what you are buying. Would you buy a spider or snake that you did not know what species they would be? I wouln't.

Bradley C Sacs
Issaquah, WA