PDA

View Full Version : Is my clam doomed?

AquAddiction
09/20/2004, 11:11 PM
I was thinking the clam forum people can help me out. I posted in the General Discussion board, but haven't had many replies.

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&postid=3493693#post3493693

TIA.

pecan2phat
09/21/2004, 11:01 AM
Like hwynboy said, once a clam takes a turn like that, it's usually just a matter of days. I had a Teardrop that was doing great with 6 other clams and in a course of 3-4 days, it retracted, less responsive & died while all others were fine.
The only thing I see from your other thread is the Ca levels. 350 is pretty low. You should strive for 420-450. What does your alkalinity measure at?
I also find that clams under 2" are difficult to keep alive due to the constant irratation of spot feeding if pulled out of the tank.
IMO, FW dips are a 50/50 chance. You usually need a clam strong enough to go through the stress of a FW dip to be somewhat successfull. Some members had posted that a FW dip had finished off their clam. This is usually due to the stage that the sick clam is in already. If you start off when the clam first shows signs of a "pinched mantle" or not normal mantle retraction, then a FW dip will not usually stress the clam to demise. It will not also not always cure the problem either.
When you think a clam is too far gone for a FW dip, the next best thing is a isolation or quarentine tank if you have one.
Good luck.

AquAddiction
09/21/2004, 01:05 PM
Thanks for the input pecan2phat.

Originally posted by pecan2phat
Like hwynboy said, once a clam takes a turn like that, it's usually just a matter of days. I had a Teardrop that was doing great with 6 other clams and in a course of 3-4 days, it retracted, less responsive & died while all others were fine.

It's disheartening to know we spend tremendous amounts of time, money and care into keeping these fascinating creatures only to have them pass without knowing exactly what was the cause.

The only thing I see from your other thread is the Ca levels. 350 is pretty low. You should strive for 420-450. What does your alkalinity measure at?

I agree, a bit low. I have started to drip kalk to hopefully raise it up again. I only have a Red Sea Alk test so the values are low-normal-high. I get a "normal" reading. Maybe it's time to invest in a Salifert kit. :rolleyes:

Last night the shrimp were at it again. :( Today, it looks to be somewhat responsive still. I will go forth with the FW dip and keep everyone updated.

Good luck.

Thank you.

zrograviti
09/24/2004, 03:24 AM
have you read this yet?
http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=131880&highlight=pinched+mantles

My maxima had pinched mantles, so I did FW dip. It looked much better but not fully back. So about 2 weeks later I did another FW dip, and it didn't make it. Good luck.

reefmarker
09/24/2004, 05:15 AM
Originally posted by AquAddiction
Thanks for the input pecan2phat.

It's disheartening to know we spend tremendous amounts of time, money and care into keeping these fascinating creatures only to have them pass without knowing exactly what was the cause.
<SNIP><SNIP>

Part of the problem is so little is known about giant clams. Research money is about zero since they don't grow near any very rich countries. The money that is available from international funds is only available to research that is guarenteed to suceed. Which means clam farming / life research isn't going to get any money. Search the web for giant clam mariculture.

AquAddiction
09/24/2004, 12:05 PM
Thanks for the link zrograviti.

Originally posted by reefmarker
Part of the problem is so little is known about giant clams. Research money is about zero since they don't grow near any very rich countries. The money that is available from international funds is only available to research that is guarenteed to suceed. Which means clam farming / life research isn't going to get any money. Search the web for giant clam mariculture.

This is a shame. I think specialized studies would greatly benefit all - reefers, food industry, environmentalists, etc.

Unfortunately, my clam passed shortly after the FW dip. :sad1:
RIP Clammy.