PDA

View Full Version : Did I just kill my Crocea Clam?

Anthony8858
10/04/2004, 06:06 PM
Today I picked up a Crocea Clam from my LFS. At that time, I also picked up a nice snail. He put both in the same bag.

Like an idiot, I attempted to remove the snail from the small rock that was attached to the clam. When I pulled the snail, the rock, along with a long piece of "clam meat" came off with it.

As of now, the clam still closes when fish pass by.

Did I kill him?

I have in in the sand, next to a another rock, in the hopes that he attaches to it.

iCam
10/04/2004, 08:53 PM
Hey. Was the "clam meat" stringy? If so, you might have pulled off some byssal threads.

As of now, the clam still closes when fish pass by.

Did I kill him?

Well, apparently not :) You might have injured it depending on how much tissue was pulled off, but as long as the gland isn't torn, it should be fine.

Anthony8858
10/05/2004, 04:47 AM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by nihonjin_anemone
[B]Hey. Was the "clam meat" stringy? If so, you might have pulled off some byssal threads.

Yes, it was stringy. It was about an inch long, and about half of it was white and stringy.

Charlie Davidson
10/05/2004, 05:34 PM
Not to worry, you did no damage. Many/ most of mine (10+)dropped thier byssal glands during transport/transfer. Closing is a good sign!

Anthony8858
10/05/2004, 06:07 PM
Last night, I placed the clam on a small rock.
Today it was attached to the rock.

I would say that's good news.

Now for the impulse move of the day.......

Not to let my wife know that I killed "HER" clam, I bought another identical Crocea clam.
(I really thought I killed it):eek2:

How do explain that the clam multiplied overnight? :eek:

Charlie Davidson
10/05/2004, 06:26 PM
Just tell her mircales of life are hard to explain, then say nothing else, Doubt that will get you off the hook, but it may help to act stupid!

Scuba Dog
10/06/2004, 04:36 PM
Tell her clams are natural filters and they reduce nitrats and other nutrient wastes. that way the corals color up better and grow faster, that way you can sell frags faster and buy her shoues with the profits lol