PDA

View Full Version : Opinions

adam12
10/08/2004, 01:17 PM
Within the next few months I'll be getting the package for my 135.

Since this will be a new tank I understand that I can setup the tanks using the first part of the package and then after cycling put the second part in.

However, I've been thinking about getting the tank up and running (just water/bare bottom), and getting 10lbs of live rock rubble, 10 snails and 10 crabs from a local LFS, add Fritz Zyme, cycle the tank, and then order the package.

My thoughts are by pre-cycling the tank in this manner I will both lessen the cycle time with the first half of the package and reduce water changes.

Opinions?

Fountainhead
10/08/2004, 02:20 PM
I'm no expert, but I'm not sure that it'd make that big of a difference. Adding the first half of your shipment (100+ pounds of sand and 135 pounds of rock) would quickly overwhelm any bacteria build-up from 10 pounds of base rock...or so I'd think. Besides, it seems like the larger the package, the gentler the cycle anyway...due to the larger volume of water. I went through both halves of my 100 gallon package without a single water change...the ammonia never got above .4.

I doubt it would actually hurt anything to do what you're suggesting (assuming the snails and crabs don't wind up dead during the TBS cycle) but I don't see it as worth the bother.

My opinion only, of course.

docklink
10/08/2004, 08:00 PM
I'ld have to agree with Fountainhead. My experiences were similar with a 50 gal package.

jimtsr
10/09/2004, 11:03 AM
For what it is worth, I also think Fountainhead's advise is right on. I would suggest that you keep a very close eye on ammonia though. You may not have the same low levels during cycle that he did.

Snarkys
10/09/2004, 11:41 AM
3rd it

Snarkys
10/10/2004, 09:02 AM
i think if you are trying to keep your cycle levels down and want to speed everything up this product might be the best answer. just add it when you add the rock .

http://www.marineland.com/products/mllabs/ML_biospira.asp

slc
10/20/2004, 10:58 AM
I agree and also did/doing the same. The Fritz product is the ONLY one of its kind. I've tried just about all of them in a little experiment. Fritz Turbo start does what it claims.

For those who read this thread: Fritz Turbo Start (fritz-zyme) is a live and active bacteria culture of the only two true nitrification species of bacteria Nitrosomonas and Nitrobacter. It is liquid form and must be refrigerated (even during shipping and storing). It is not an enzyme, not Heterotrophic bacteria, not a "booster" or additive. True Nitrosomonas and Nitrobacter cannot be dried, frozen, or stored on a shelf without refrigeration.

That said, I have used it to start up tanks and pre cycle them for live rock, live sand etc. It is a very good idea for you to do the same. I would also suggest you use the “fishless” cycle method using pure ammonia and turbo start to pre-cycle before adding live rock. You can determine before hand how much ammonia your tank will process and how much live rock you can cycle at a time. I did this by adding ammonia till 3ppm and timing how long it took to read 0 on a test. Once my tank could handle this amount within a few hours I added the live rock and had NO spikes.

Dazz
10/20/2004, 06:04 PM
The 2 week wait is really worst case senario. My tank completely cycled in about 3 days with no noticable ammonia what so ever.