PDA

View Full Version : Ring Wrasses

kmc
10/18/2004, 04:13 PM
I was just browsing an online vendor's site when I came upon the wrasses pictured at this link (scroll down page and look for bodianus operculatis pair). www.drmaccorals.com/sys-tmpl/fish/view.nhtml?profile=fish&UID=10086 They are supposedly a male/female pair. They were previously labeled "candy wrasses." I thought they looked a little like peppermint hogfish, but their tails didn't have the usual red band, and they seemed a little too thin and elongate (particularly the snout). I remembered seeing a similar fish in your article on ring wrasses a couple of months ago in Reefkeeping Magazine. I just read through the article again, and while they look very similar to a juvenile or adolescent Hologymnosus doliatus, they have four stripes, whereas the doliatus has three. I'm interested in these fish, but have no intention in buying them if I can't identify them first. The vendor has now changed the identification to peppermint hogfish, but I'm fairly certain that's not correct. Do you think this is member of the Hologymnosus genus? If so, I definitely don't want to purchase them. Thanks.

Keith

Sloeber
10/20/2004, 11:52 PM
they look like Bodianus bimaculatus to me, albeit a photo that used a bit to much highlight on the red portion. note the tell-tale black spot behind the opercle and just above the lateral line.

HTH

henry

kmc
10/21/2004, 07:43 AM
I'm not sure. There's a second photo of one of them on the site which shows the body a little better. I should've given you that link, as well. It seems much more elongate than any of the hogfish, plus I think the stripes are better defined than the stripes on bimaculatus (if I remember correctly, he already has a bimaculatus pictured on the website for sale). I looked at my wrasse "bible" last night "Fairy Wrasses and their Relatives" by Kuiter (?), I think. I don't have the book with me now, but there's a photograph of another member of the Hologymnosus genus that looks almost identical to these wrasses in its juvenile phase. In any event, I've decided to pass on the wrasses since I can't be certain what they are. Thanks.

Sloeber
10/21/2004, 07:48 AM
fish identification through photos - and bad photos at that - can be a futile experience. you practice good self control by not purchasing them without first knowing what genus and species they are. you should be applauded. :)