PDA

View Full Version : TS-24 kit with sand?

jjjimmy
10/27/2004, 06:40 AM
I am sure this is a rather common question, but as I am just now considering getting this system I need the info.

It would seem that the standard mounting kit for hanging on my overflows of my AGA 180 RR will direct flow horizontally (which could very possible blow my tank into a sandstorm). Considering the fake rock mount (which would seem to angle the flow upward) would I get any flow at the bottom of the tank? I ask this because I am looking for good flow from the upper half for SPS corals and gentle flow in the lower half for LPS.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Jimmy

rvitko
10/27/2004, 09:18 AM
When your sand is sufficiently established it won't be an issue. A sand bed that is a few months old isn't going to move a whole lot. A guy here locally has a 180 Oceanic with a DSB and a TS24 kit running with no issues. For the first few months he just ran one at low power and then worked in the second one. He just uses the standard mounting set. The critical thing is if you do get sand stirred up clean the pumps as the sand can damage them.

jjjimmy
10/27/2004, 09:28 AM
My sand has been in the tank for 18 months, but I do siphon through it when I do a water change. So it never really settles down compact.

Would that be an issue?

rvitko
10/27/2004, 09:37 AM
I don't know, in general the slight compaction and the biofilm would be what holds it down. You can adjust the output, I might stop siphoning, animal life should keep it sufficiently stirred up.

hwynboy
10/27/2004, 11:49 AM
I ran this unit on a 135 tank it works fine....you just need to let it settle itself down. You shouldn't siphon your sand when doing WCs...

Johnsteph10
10/27/2004, 11:51 AM
I have the TS24 kit in a 120. The first few days were a sandstorm but everything settled down pretty nicely. The flow is amazing.