PDA

View Full Version : Wavebox attachment in acrylic tank

Acrylics
11/05/2004, 10:27 PM
Roger,

Sorry if this has been answered before, I searched a little and didn't see much regarding the question I have.
I run an acrylic tank mfr company and am working on a project that will incorporate the use of one (or more) of the new waveboxes. Having never seen one of the units, I don't know - what would be the best method for attaching to an acrylic tank? The acrylic will be 1+" in thickness and this makes me hesitant about using magnets as an attachment method. The flange 4-6" may actually be on the outside of the tank leaving a smooth inner tank wall if this makes a difference. We are planning on having the overflow slots 2.5" deep which will allow for the 1" gap above the water line. If necessary we may be able to glue an horizontal strip (with possibly tapped holes?) for attachment but would obviously prefer not to.

I hope this is making sense, if there is anything else you need to know to make a recommendation - please do let me know. I have seen some pics and seen some product dimensions but nothing detailed enough to answer the above.

Thank you,

James

mhurley
11/06/2004, 09:16 PM
FWIW James, my tank is 3/4" and I'll be using 2 magnets to support my wavebox when I get it. But that extra 1/4" on ours may make a big difference.

moonpod
11/06/2004, 11:13 PM
I THINK the thing uses their standard mounting system. If you are concerned about the magnets you just need to make small cut outs that line up with where the mounting rails would be on the acrylic trim.

rvitko
11/07/2004, 12:36 PM
For a tank with perimeter braces the magnet holder is the only option. it takes two of them. Since it is acrylic, you can also drill the braces and use the included mounting hardware. The large magnet is only rated to 3/4" so 1' is pushing it and drilling is your best option.

Acrylics
11/23/2004, 02:27 AM
Thanks to all for the above tips, leads me to the following question:
If I am to drill the tank (as magnets won't work), what are the dimensions of the mounting rails? I'd obviously like to make this little cutout as small as possible. I'm <gulp> guessing that a 1" (25mm) squarish hole would be sufficient, but I cannot tell from the manual.
If possible, can the rails be bought separately (and now)? so I can fit the tank for the rails at build time so the customer can just mount the wavebox on the pre-installed rails.
Would I need just the 2 rails? or are 4 required? Please excuse the ignorance, never preinstalled these things before :)

Thanks in advance,

James

rvitko
11/23/2004, 11:46 AM
Only 2 rails are required. Rail set 3166.25 is available seperately, i seem to recall they are about $12. A 1" square hole for each rail should suffice.

Acrylics
11/23/2004, 12:24 PM
Thanks a bunch Roger.

James