PDA

View Full Version : Porites with Squamosa

SaltDog
11/24/2004, 07:07 PM
http://reefcentral.com/gallery/data/500/34066mini-100_0271.JPG I just picked this up from my local lfs. And I was wondering if this is very common. I was there when the shippment came in so I know it's not something they did.

Thanks Ron

inlandreef
11/24/2004, 07:14 PM
Not real sure. Never seen a squamosa like that. How big is the clam and what type of lighting do you have.
Sweet find Saltdog

SaltDog
11/24/2004, 07:38 PM
The clam is small about 1.5". For lighting i have 2-250 mh with hamilton 14k and 2 96 watt actinics. Here is another picture that shows the over all size of the piece. I thought it was worth the 65.00 http://reefcentral.com/gallery/data/500/34066mini-100_0265.JPG

inlandreef
11/24/2004, 07:47 PM
That is a great price. Make sure you use DT's to feed the clam.

Finno
11/24/2004, 08:28 PM
Clams can literally grow up anywhere on the reef, barring sand. All clams start off being attached to rock. Looks like you lucked out and got some porites with your clam :)

szesteve
11/25/2004, 04:10 PM
It looks good.

The only concern i would have in future would be the clam getting stuck. As long as there's enuff space for it to grow around it, it should be okay.

acrohead
11/25/2004, 05:51 PM
Looks like a Maxima to me....... See the "eyespots" around the edge of the mantle in the first picture.......

Just my 2 pennies

Foreverlearnin
11/26/2004, 01:31 AM
He will grind the rock around him to accomodate his size when he grows. I am sure he will do just fine as long as you keep him well fed.

IME, I tried DT's, but found Tahitian Blend to provide much more stable and positive long term results in the smaller clams. My smallest maxima was at best an inch when I got him, more then double that now. All on 150W DE and daily Tahitian blend.

Foreverlearnin
11/26/2004, 01:32 AM
ps sweet find, and I would make sure he was not shadowed for long if I was you!

ich_meistr
11/26/2004, 01:50 AM
Forever, can you please tell me more about 'Tahitian Blend'. I've never seen or heard of it before. Thx.

jwalters103
11/26/2004, 02:18 AM
nice piece---from what i understand it may not be common, but clams will often "burrow" into their substrate. they secrete a substance from the byssal opening that dissolves the substrate and allows them to sink in---i dont think youll have to worry about it getting stuck as it can take care of itself

SaltDog
11/26/2004, 04:07 AM
Thanks for all the replies. The clam is not shadowed any more i moved it around after the picture. I do use the 'Tahitian Blend. I picked it up when i ordered the golden pearls and selco for the home made coral food. ich_meistr you can check out the 'Tahitian Blend at www.brineshrimpdirect.com

Scuba Dog
11/27/2004, 05:26 AM
Excelent pick up congradulations! Yeah looks like max to me as well....but kinda hard to tell by a couple of pics but the shell does look maxish...and the mantle pattern resembels a max as well.....definitly come up with a plan to feed it..and dont worry it will burrow some into the coral...not quite like a crocea will...but still will non the less....

jpg
11/27/2004, 09:52 AM
That is a maxima no doubt.The eye spots and the close blades on the sell and color of the mantle give it away. In the wild crocea and maxima are found boring into rock for protection from preditors.You did luck out its not offten you see a clam represent its natural behavior in a captive environment.There no need to worry about the clam getting stuck they use the blades and a acidic solution they expell from there byssal gland to eat away the rock.

That is a beautiful maxI saw the same one they other day going for $70.