PDA

View Full Version : Wavebox Arrival?

moonpod
11/29/2004, 05:45 PM
Well....dare I ask....are they here????

rvitko
11/30/2004, 08:43 AM
Not yet, it could be as late as tomorrow.

moonpod
11/30/2004, 09:56 AM
I feel like the kid in the back of the car during the road trip. Are we there yet? Are we there yet?

rvitko
11/30/2004, 01:13 PM
No problem. They should have arrived yesterday but I get a feeling Customs didn't do inspections from Wednesday- Sunday so their is likely to be a delay.

Nanook
12/01/2004, 01:30 AM
Poor Roger!!! Oh to be pestered incessantly about the arrival of Tunze products...oh well, good to have business!!

Dave:D

mhurley
12/01/2004, 01:26 PM
*****cough cough****wavebox****cough cough****

rvitko
12/01/2004, 01:39 PM
They still arent here. They should show today. On the positive side 20 more were shipped 4 days after this shipment and 24 extension boxes are scheduled for ship out tomorrow.

In other good news 50 large magnet holders are shipping with the extensions.

For the bad news- only 10 7095's have been shipped. Turns out the electrician has been busy with church activities and hence the delay. I presume he is part of the reenactment of the passion play they do every Christmas in Penzberg. That is the cause of the delay but I was told everything possible would be done to send 40 more this week.

moonpod
12/01/2004, 02:13 PM
anyway to try and get dropshipping?

rvitko
12/01/2004, 02:18 PM
I would rather not, I have already carefully worked out the alotment of the shipment. I know it sucks. I expected to be working hard this week with shipping and filling orders and I am twiddling my thumbs and doing paper work. As soon as they arrive they will be shipped, if it comes late tonight it will be put away and inventoried in time for shipping tomorrow.

moonpod
12/01/2004, 02:26 PM
picture pouting child in back of car....

DT's_Reef
12/01/2004, 11:49 PM
Chuck, how can you pout when you have a skimmer producing skimmate thick enough to eat with a fork (but use a spoon...to get every drop)?

Frisco
12/02/2004, 08:09 AM
I feel like it's a couple days before Christmas when I was 5 years old!!! :D

mhurley
12/02/2004, 08:23 AM
Originally posted by Frisco
I feel like it's a couple days before Christmas when I was 5 years old!!! :D

Ain't that the truth!!!

Maximus
12/02/2004, 12:00 PM
Frisco,
Wanna give me your spot in line?:)

rvitko
12/02/2004, 01:45 PM
They just showed up.

mhurley
12/02/2004, 02:04 PM
http://home.comcast.net/~michael.hurley/dance.gif

DT's_Reef
12/02/2004, 03:10 PM
Roger, do you know if I can use it with only 9/16" between the waterline and glass?

I'm first on the waiting list with Marine Depot who I assume will be getting a few units (of course you can always ship direct to me!).

moonpod
12/02/2004, 03:18 PM
I second what mhurley said!

prop-frags
12/02/2004, 07:35 PM
Originally posted by rvitko
For the bad news- only 10 7095's have been shipped. Turns out the electrician has been busy with church activities and hence the delay. I presume he is part of the reenactment of the passion play they do every Christmas in Penzberg. That is the cause of the delay but I was told everything possible would be done to send 40 more this week. You really have to relate to European culture to understand this one. In some ways I wish we Americans would adopt more of a European culture. We embrace this in small, entreprenurial companies, but our bigger "efficiency minded" large corporations would frown on this kind of thinking. Sad that we have traded off productivity for the hapiness (and sometimes spiritual well-being) of the average worker here in the U.S.. I for one am happy to wait a bit longer for my 7095, so that the electrician can be a part of his town's tradition. He's a better craftsman for it, and so is the company who chooses to delay their shipment to allow him the time. Hurray for Tunze! :thumbsup:

rvitko
12/02/2004, 07:48 PM
I agree and I know how it is their so I can't see what could be done but it is frustrating and I want to get them to people as fast as I can. FWIW I know the guy and he will make up the time, I have seen him come in on weekends and nights when it is critical and he takes his job very seriously and is really good at it. They will come in before Christmas, I know that much. I got the 10 today and they are pretty sharp.

SeanT
12/02/2004, 08:07 PM
yay.
Out of curiosity how many units came in this shipment?
And are you able to break down how many are going to which of the major suppliers?
Need to know if I should start dusting off the old plastic. :D

rvitko
12/03/2004, 10:03 AM
I got 20 yesterday and hope the other 20 that were shipped 4 days before this shipment arrive today. The first shipment has some prototypes and I guess customs didn't like the declaration. 24 extensions will arrive next week. The internet shops will all recieve at least 8, maybe 9. I have 6 writers that are getting a unit and some shops attended interzoo and ordered first so they will be getting some too. After that a bigger portion will go to internet shops.

rvitko
12/03/2004, 10:10 AM
Spoke to soon. They just arrived stateside this morning. So I won't see the other 20 until Tuesday. They wouldn't ship until they were precleared. If you are waiting for a 7094 or Stream this shipment has all that stuff. It has the last 11 7094's that were available and over 200 Streams.

SeanT
12/03/2004, 11:48 AM
So PA, MD, Champion and the like will be splitting a total of 8 or 9 right?

Any ideas if another shipment will hit the shores before Xmas?
Thanks Roger,
Sean

rvitko
12/03/2004, 12:12 PM
No, they will each get 8 or 9. I should get at least one more shipment before Christmas.

DT's_Reef
12/03/2004, 01:47 PM
Mine's being shipped to me today! Yeah!

rvitko
12/03/2004, 01:54 PM
Hmm! UPS must have become really fast because they just went to Marine Depot yesterday. i think it will take a little longer :lol:

DT's_Reef
12/03/2004, 03:24 PM
Hmm! UPS must have become really fast because they just went to Marine Depot yesterday. i think it will take a little longer :lol:

Hah, smart guy!

... but AquaTek is closer!! I should have it Wednesday :p

Given the short supply of these things, I feel a bit guilty being #1, #2, and #4 in line at 3 different stores.

Gee, what to do with those extra wave boxes I can't even use?

rvitko
12/03/2004, 03:42 PM
Wow, they only got two and the employees were fighting over them. I guess the Christmas spirit won out. Cancel the other orders and then everyone else moves ahead in line.

curthendrix
12/03/2004, 03:45 PM
Will you "lucky "box" owners please post pics, videos, and comments when they arrive so us less fortunate reefers can live the dream too!!!

DT's_Reef
12/03/2004, 03:45 PM
...Cancel the other orders and then everyone else moves ahead in line.

I think I'm feeling more good than evil today, and will manage to do the right thing. :)

jamesdawson
12/08/2004, 12:21 PM
Anyone get it yet?

mhurley
12/08/2004, 12:49 PM
Dec 8, 2004 7:56 A.M. ADDISON, IL, US OUT FOR DELIVERY

I feel like a kid on Christmas morning waiting to run down the stairs to look under the tree. In this case, it's waiting to sneak out of work and run home to the UPS box on my porch. :D

curthendrix
12/08/2004, 12:52 PM
Box-guys,

We're all expecting immediate reviews, pics, and videos of your new toys!!

SeanT
12/08/2004, 01:02 PM
Mike,
What company did you buy yours from?
Sean

maoiwowie
12/08/2004, 02:06 PM
Just talked to MD...they have 3 in their warehouse, but not offically stocked yet. I should be picking mine up later today or tomorrow.

SunnyX
12/08/2004, 03:40 PM
what is the wave box?

SeanT
12/08/2004, 08:21 PM
What the wavebox be. ;) (http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=373540)

rvitko
12/08/2004, 08:27 PM
FWIW if you are number 8 or less at MD, Champion or Premium you will get one very soon, they each were sent 5 more today.

SeanT
12/08/2004, 08:31 PM
Drat.
I am number 10, thought I was 6, but turned out to be 10.

Hopefully more will be in soon enough. :)

rvitko
12/08/2004, 09:45 PM
I'm trying my best Sean. I need 101 to fill every current order and they said they would do their best. Hehe, kind of funny to say 101 to a guy with a dalmation avatar. I know for sure I will get more though before the years end so I wouldn't worry about it.

SeanT
12/08/2004, 10:21 PM
Not worried at all.
I really dont NEED one yet...still dont have all the rock back in my tank. :D

DT's_Reef
12/09/2004, 07:00 PM
The wavebox is next to my desk at work as I type....

SeanT
12/09/2004, 07:21 PM
Bite me. ;)

DT's_Reef
12/09/2004, 07:42 PM
Hey, it was stressful enough when Marine Depot called me this morning to say "Your wavebox is here", and I had to tell them I didn't want it because I already had one.

I was tempted to get the second for "SPS favors".

SeanT
12/09/2004, 08:21 PM
lol.
Those would have to be favors cashed in on quick though. ;)

DT's_Reef
12/10/2004, 01:46 AM
Well, I installed it. So far works great because several minutes after it began, I smelled a bad stink. Apparently this was all the "funk" getting moved out of the nooks and crannies. I basically have a barebottom tank with a little sand here and there.

The motor goes on and off as expected, and is louder than a regular stream pump.

My Acropora Subulata *majorly* extended its polyps like never before, 10 minutes after starting the wavebox.

I'll have to see how the tank runs over the short term before giving the wavebox the "Shiznit Seal of Approval". However, I expect this is going to be at least as popular as the Streams.

LowCel
12/10/2004, 09:12 AM
DT's, about how big of a wave does it make? Does it become an eyesore, in other words, is it as big as it looks in the video?

DT's_Reef
12/10/2004, 09:52 AM
The maximum wave possible is primarily determined by how long your tank is. Mine's 4 feet so I get a smaller wave, about 3/4" or so.

But I must say that I'm not sure I'd want a bigger wave as when you look very closely, you can actually see your tank slightly jiggle during each wave. Kind of unsettling when you have a glass tank and live in an upstairs condominium <g>. My tank's a new Lee-Mar, eurobraced with 1/2" glass, so hopefully it's really sturdy....hopefully.

Whether or not it's an eyesore will depend on how much good I feel it does my tank <g>. I have it on the same end of my tank as the Stream, so it hides the Stream when viewing the tank from the front, which is nice. I took my other Stream out from the other end of my tank so now I only have one, which has improved the apperance. Kind of a trade-off.

I honestly don't feel it looks ugly in the tank, as it's a pretty fascinating item. People who've never seen one will likely say "wow" when seeing it the first time.

I'll guess it probably won't look as big to you as it does in the video because my reaction was that it wasn't as big as I thought it'd be.

mhurley
12/10/2004, 09:57 AM
I got mine in last night. My tank is 330 gallons and 8' long. I'm shocked and impressed that the wave is as big as it is on this tank because the specs say the limit is a 317 gallon tank for a single wavebox. You can defintely control the frequency of the wave which impacts the size of it. I had it as low as a little light rocking like this:

http://home.comcast.net/~michael.hurley/little.AVI 1.5 MB

To rocking and rolling (which is where I left it):

http://home.comcast.net/~michael.hurley/big.AVI 2.2 MB

Those vids are of the back side of my tank.

Here's a pic of the right front side of my tank with the box in the corner.

http://home.comcast.net/~michael.hurley/waveboxinstalled.jpg
Enjoy!

curthendrix
12/10/2004, 10:17 AM
Thanks for the video. Anyway we could talk you into a video from the front of the tank showing the effect of the wave motion on your coral and fish? Do you think the one box is sufficient for your tank?

rvitko
12/10/2004, 10:19 AM
Darin,

I take it youget a click, click noise every time it turns on. That will soften over the next couple weeks, it still does make a noise but not quite the pistol shrimp kinda noise it makes when new.

Frisco
12/10/2004, 10:31 AM
I got mine running last night just to check it out but need to move it to the real location (hanging off of my overflow - rear right of the pic) and also secure it better. One of support fittings has a hole drilled too big so I can't get the backing screw to stay in - I'm going to use one from one of my streams and get it running tomorrow and will take some more pics. This thing is way too cool!!

http://friscoreef.home.comcast.net/images/tank/wavebox1.jpg

mhurley
12/10/2004, 10:35 AM
Originally posted by curthendrix
Thanks for the video. Anyway we could talk you into a video from the front of the tank showing the effect of the wave motion on your coral and fish? Do you think the one box is sufficient for your tank?

Well, so far I think one is plenty. But I'm still fine tuning it so we'll see.

Here's a vid of my GSP's which are dead center in my tank sitting on the sandy bottom....Incidentally, for those with concerns about DSB's and Southdown...I can tell you that I have 750 pounds of Southdown in this tank and this hasn't stirred that up at all. Another great benefit I see is in the back of the tank in areas that are totally dead and devoid of water flow (rock piles etc..) and with gunk growing, suddenly it's all blowing around and the "gunk" is breaking up.

http://home.comcast.net/~michael.hurley/gsp.AVI 3.7 meg

curthendrix
12/10/2004, 10:40 AM
Absolutely cooooooool. Thanks. How does your rockwork effect the action of the underwater wave?

rvitko
12/10/2004, 10:41 AM
Cool! We have an untested belief that this device may actually increase sand bed and rock denitrating capacity because the pressure changes should push water further into the sand and rock but we have no tests to prove this, just something people are currently looking into.

I am happy to see though that even on a large tank with a short wave height the effect is preserved.

rvitko
12/10/2004, 10:46 AM
Also, be careful to watch redox levels Mike, that detritus break up is great in the long run but can be dangerous short term. Keep the skimmer running and in bad situations you may want to run some Ozone.

mhurley
12/10/2004, 11:03 AM
Yep...skimmer and ozone are going well.

I would say that the rock work doesn't impact it too much...at least not that I can tell. The best way I can describe the water flow is if you and a buddy stood on either side of your tank and lifted it up, then tipped it back and forth. It's as if the entire water column is shifting. It's a different flow than a Stream, which is different from a typical powerhead.

DT's_Reef
12/10/2004, 11:47 AM
Darin,

I take it youget a click, click noise every time it turns on. That will soften over the next couple weeks, it still does make a noise but not quite the pistol shrimp kinda noise it makes when new.

Yep, that's the noise. It goes "click-nnnrrrrrrr.....click-nnnrrrrrrr....click-nnnrrrrrr".

The magnet holder works fantastically well.

Has anyone noticed a stink in their tank after starting up the wavebox?

The stink was gone this morning, but I noticed my pH was slightly depressed from the usual morning reading. My guess is crud is stirred up in the water.

The polyps on my A. Subulata and Mille. continue to be massively expanded.

mhurley
12/10/2004, 11:53 AM
Ya know what?....I did notice a little odor last night/this morning and I suspect you are right.

I love the magnet holder too. Except for the tips of my two fingers that got pinched in them when I let the magnets snap together. Oh crud that hurt.

deceptic
12/10/2004, 12:41 PM
I'm the BIG GREEN EYED MONSTER!!!!!!!

DT's_Reef
12/10/2004, 01:07 PM
Originally posted by deceptic
I'm the BIG GREEN EYED MONSTER!!!!!!!

... but you don't have to be :D

curthendrix
12/10/2004, 01:10 PM
Any other videos or testimonials....I feel like an addict in need of a fix!!!

LowCel
12/10/2004, 01:16 PM
Are magnets required to mount a wavebox on an AGA tank?

rvitko
12/10/2004, 01:22 PM
Originally posted by LowCel
Are magnets required to mount a wavebox on an AGA tank?

No. Only on tanks with perimeter bracing.

maoiwowie
12/10/2004, 01:48 PM
I installed the unit on my 350 gal...i do feel it is a little underpowered for this size and am going to get the extension unit that is supposed to be installed side by side; and plugged into the wave controller. The rocking in my tank is nice but not exactly side to side. It rocks concurrently side to side and front to back. This has a lot to do with my aquarium design, aquascape, and tank size. As far as the inhabitants, the lps have immediately responded by opening huge....like my torch and goniopora. The swaying seems to help stretch those polyps. The unit is bulky, and will be kinda an eyesore if reefers cant locate a location behind the rock work.

rvitko
12/10/2004, 02:19 PM
I would try tuning the frequency more. It may indeed be underpowered if their is a lot of rock but a somewhat elliptical wave would indicate to me the timing isn't perfect.

moonpod
12/10/2004, 02:48 PM
GRRRR, I picked the wrong time to go away for a couple of weeks. Mine is probably sitting in my office....

sschafer
12/10/2004, 06:48 PM
So . . . Can you run one of these on a 120g AGA Reef Ready without tons of water spilling on the floor? I'm planning to upgrade the tank sometime, but if one of these will work now I'm IN!

-Steve

rvitko
12/10/2004, 07:29 PM
Yes, you can even adjust the wave height but full power would only give you a 3/4" wave.

Tagareef
12/10/2004, 08:04 PM
Roger,

Have you shipped any units out to Premium Aquatics yet? If so, how many?...I am #6!

Thanks,

Luis

rvitko
12/10/2004, 10:34 PM
You'll get one next week, they have received three and 5 more are behind that, left yesterday, I have 20 more on the way and the extension boxes showed up as I was leaving today.

DT's_Reef
12/12/2004, 11:17 AM
Roger, my tank and stand moves ever so slightly to the left and right, along with the wave (which is 3/4" since I have a 120g).

I assume this is okay? I would think it is a good thing that the stand moves with the tank. My tank is a frameless, eurobraced system with 1/2" glass (Lee Mar). The stand is by Moore Cabinet Co.

Does everyone elses tank and stand move?

rvitko
12/12/2004, 11:44 AM
This would indicate to me the floor is unlevel, high point in the center most likely, I would try to shim it a bit. Moore makes some nice cabinets so I think it is solid but it sounds like the bottom is cupped or the floor is unlevel, it could also be an optical illusion created by the water motion. I would think though that this would eventually weaken the stand and tank so I would try to resolve this problem.

DT's_Reef
12/12/2004, 12:14 PM
Great...... I had previously leveled the tank when setting it up. Yesterday, I turned everything off and measured the distance of the water to the top of the glass in the four corners and middle sections, and found there to be a variance of 1mm. I'm not sure that's worth shimming at this point.

I don't think it's an optical illusion because where I'm viewing the movement, I can not see the wave at the top of the tank. I'm just look at the side of the glass against the wall and I see the tiniest bit of a shudder when the wave hits either tank wall.

Not sure what to do if the bottom is cupped, short of buying a new stand and possibly having the same issue. I'd probably just opt not to use the wavebox. Thanks.

rvitko
12/12/2004, 12:31 PM
I don't know what to say Darin, I'm not their to see for myself but I have seen it running on a few tanks and never noticed any shudder or movement and I honestly would be cautious but I think their is a solution. It could be as simple as just wedging shims under the corners, even if it was cupped this should solve it. The 1mm variance doesn't worry me, it is the movement of the tank and stand.

rvitko
12/12/2004, 12:32 PM
FWIW, Lowes had some really neat plastic shims that were very thin, I don't remember what department though.

DT's_Reef
12/12/2004, 12:35 PM
Thanks, Roger. I'm thinking perhaps it's more of an issue of strengthening the stand to resist side-to-side movement, as the wood bracing on my stand occurs toward the edges, and not in the middle.

DT's_Reef
12/12/2004, 12:46 PM
I just looked at the tank again and the movement is basically a shudder when the wave hits each side of the tank. It's not a swaying movement. It's barely perceptible and you have to have to put your face literally along the edge of the tank and compare it to the wall to see the movement.

Or, even better, put your shoulder against one side of the tank and you can feel the shudder easier than seeing it.

Does anyone see or feel anything similar?

jamesdawson
12/12/2004, 02:23 PM
Hey Darin!

I agree with Roger's solution and I would also reccomend that you bolt the stand to the wall's framing, even if you had to use some spacers. This will greatly alleviate failure do to shearing and would further offer protection when you L.A. people get another big quake.

James

DT's_Reef
12/12/2004, 02:40 PM
James, are you using a wavebox?

jamesdawson
12/12/2004, 03:44 PM
On order!

RGibson
12/12/2004, 04:13 PM
Do not bolt the stand to the wall it will put strain on the tank seals. Chech the strand with a light in side the cabinet to see if there is any movement.

DT's_Reef
12/12/2004, 05:08 PM
I can't see any movement inside of the cabinet.

Given the fact that I've got about a 1,000 lbs. of water swaying back and forth, I actually wonder how it's possible for a wood stand *not* to shudder slightly. And, if the stand stood perfectly still, I would think it would just add extra stress to the tank, as it would no longer be sympathetically shuddering along with the tank, being that the tank is the source of the movement.

jamesdawson
12/12/2004, 05:19 PM
Roger already said that any quality tank of recent vintage should be fine, albeit it will shorten the natural lifespan of the tank slightly.

If a tank is acrylic, I really wouldn't worry about seam failure to much as long as it is LEVEL.

Glass on the other hand, is just not as inherently strong as 5 pieces of acrylic welded together, nonetheless, Roger did say that AGA, Oceanic, I would assume LeeMar are all quality and should be fine as long as level.

Bolting a stand to the wall studs will offer protection against shear and is something I always do in earthquake-prone California!

jamesdawson
12/12/2004, 05:33 PM
Hey Darin I just PM ed you.

DT's_Reef
12/12/2004, 05:35 PM
I had acrylic tanks for the last 13 years, and my 120 Lee-Mar is the first glass tank, and it's soooo much easier to keep clean.

The reason I never had glass before was because of my fear of earthquakes. Now I figure if a big one hits, the tank will be tossed anyway. I lived in Santa Monica, about 25 miles from the Northridge earthquake and my brother's glass 60g survived without any problem. Our place shook really hard too, but probably nothing compared to what people experienced in Northridge. A buddy of mine lived in Northridge at the time and said he saw his television jump off the floor and fly across to the other side of the bedroom.

Frisco
12/12/2004, 05:37 PM
Maybe your stand just isn't level/planar and the tank itself needs to be shimmed on one edge - I have had mine going all weekend and nothing is moving except the water. Anything else moving sounds really sketchy to me.

DT's_Reef
12/12/2004, 05:42 PM
If you put your side against the tank, you can't feel any vibration whatsoever when the wave hits?

DT's_Reef
12/12/2004, 06:01 PM
Ok, wild guess here, but is it possible that the shudder in my tank/stand is due to it resting on carpeting that has special dense/thick synthetic rubber padding (for acoustic insulation) underneath?

And, underneath that, I have 1/16" mass loaded vinyl barrier at 1 lb. per sq. foot. FWIW, underneath that is 1/2" lightweight concrete and 3/4" plywood subflooring.

jamesdawson
12/12/2004, 06:30 PM
I agree with you Darin, I have acrylic now but I am planning on going with a custom starphire and eurobraced glass tank as soon as I can afford it because of cleaning/scratching issues.

I might even do LeeMar since they are the closest glass tank manufacturer and shipping is so large because of the weight.

Can't wait for my wavebox, nothing like being an "EARLY ADOPTER"!

jamesdawson
12/12/2004, 06:32 PM
I forgot to say, resting a tank on carpet/padding or other less than firm/hard surface probably doesn't help from a stability point of view.

DT's_Reef
12/12/2004, 06:45 PM
Hmmm.... if the carpet/rubber padding/etc. is the issue, then there's not too much I can do. And, if I do the other things as suggested, it's possible it won't make a difference anyway.

Ok. I think I just talked myself into doing nothing <g>.

jamesdawson
12/12/2004, 06:54 PM
Hey, at least you have a wavebox to watch!

DT's_Reef
12/12/2004, 07:00 PM
Do you know what number in line you are for the wavebox? (e.g., are you getting it in the recent shipments)

Frisco
12/12/2004, 09:29 PM
here's an animated gif of mine

http://reefcentral.com/gallery/data/500/345wavebox.gif

jamesdawson
12/12/2004, 10:10 PM
Darin, I ordered a wavebox, 7095, 2 Stream 6000s and 2 Stream rocks through Champion back when they had a 10% off of everything sale. They told me they shipped on last friday!

DT's_Reef
12/12/2004, 10:28 PM
Wow, you're going deluxe! I've got the same set-up (minus the stream rock).

sde219
12/13/2004, 12:23 AM
Thanks for all the videos. Very cool technology in the wavebox. Congrats on another impressive product Roger. Wanna start making stuff for the "I don't actually fit in my tank" club?

Steve

mrme
12/13/2004, 02:07 AM
to have the same effect with only powerheads .. you would have to calculate the volume of your tank , to GPH of the powerhead...time it to go on and off at the right times .... how tricky.. i wanna do the math and ill get back to everyone....ill be up all night trying to figure this out... the powerhead would have to first be able to have the power to move the water up a little on the other side.... wait untill the wave come flying back ... a split second after it hits the wall turn back on .. and help carry the water back ...

who the hell invented this thing ?

this really sounds cool ... how much is this thing ?

i wanna get one

Jason

rvitko
12/13/2004, 09:59 AM
The wavebox was an invention of Norbert Tunze and Claude Hug. Claude is a retired electrical engineer who worked in an aluminum smelting plant in France and now does the same job I do except for France, Belgium and Luxemburg. Norbert Tunze was the founder of the company and this was one of the last projects he worked on before he passed away last year. Basically after we invented the Stream, Norbert started playing with what would happen if we put it behind a partition, then by chance he got a wave going with the proper timing, then Claude took to figuring out the math and put it in a Comline box and him and Norbert worked back and forth until we had something that worked really well and the basic circuit layout by last summer. Since we have refined it a little more. The complete set which is the box, the pump, the timing system costs $466.99 MSRP. The pump is a hybrid between a Stream 6100 and 6200 and has a special dampning system we use now on all Streams which helps control the noise, because these pumps are electronic the computers assist the start up to prevent the damage that would occur if a pump was turned off an on so fast.

Steve, we make products for small tanks, the Stream concept just does not apply to small aquaria. Our ordinary powerheads fill this niche, if you had 800 gph coming out of a firehouse it would be a trickle with no pressure, that same flow from a 1" outlet though is just right. Our powerheads still have low pressure flow but it is proportional to the decreased volume. The wavebox will work on any aquarium at least 3 ft long, it just is bulky but it will work.

maoiwowie
12/13/2004, 11:32 AM
DT....my wavebox doesnt move my 350 at all; but it sits on a "tank" of a frame and on hardwood. Eventually i think you need to find a solution to the rocking. It will only get worse overtime; like that screw that always needs retightening. A heavy-duty stand should do the trick.

mhurley
12/13/2004, 11:39 AM
Ditto....my 330 doesn't move at all...But the stand is way overengineered (six 6" posts for the base).

DT's_Reef
12/13/2004, 12:07 PM
The problem is that I'm not certain it's entirely the stand's fault for moving (although it probably is).

The stand is on thick carpeting which sits on top of dense, thick, synthetic rubber padding (for acoustic insulation), which sits on top of a thin layer of mass loaded vinyl barrier (also acoustic insulation).

It's just a wild guess, but I wonder if that's contributing at all. I'd hate to buy a new stand, move the tank, etc., etc., and then find I have the same issue.

maoiwowie
12/13/2004, 12:28 PM
My thinking is that you must assume the worst. I dont think the conventional stand had the Tunze wavebox in mind for its initial design; so the dynamics will be different and maximum weight thresholds should not be followed. Even if the rocking is caused by the padding or floor, the weight distribution is still in constant flux. I would er on the side of caution. Goodluck!

DT's_Reef
12/13/2004, 12:39 PM
I just spoke with Tom at Lee Mar, who makes tanks, and he said that the type of repetitive motion my tank is experience is "nothing to be concerned about, especially at a 3/4 wave" and that it's capable of withstanding a lot more as he's used these tanks for surge systems with much larger wave movement.

BUT.... the thing I should be concerned about is the stand, particularly if the corners are flexing, as it could increase over time if the stand is not built properly.

He said although the stand is shuddering with the tank, it doesn't necessarily mean the joints are flexing, and he doubts it would be an issue with a stand made by Moore (both companies are located near each other).

I'm going to look into reinforcing the corners with metal brackets. I'll call Moore Cabinet Co. and see what they say.

MSHUR
12/13/2004, 01:11 PM
guys,
i have 150 g rr oceanic with two overflows
whay is the best possition for the wavebox?
and i have two 6000 streams..

thankx,mike

mrme
12/13/2004, 04:40 PM
how does this compare to the wave2k ?

downset
12/13/2004, 05:06 PM
i am so getting one of these when i get my next tank
WOW is all i have to say

alexwolf
12/16/2004, 05:33 PM
Question, my floor isnt very level, and its for my oceanic 175 bowfront. If you are looking at the tank, it slopes slightly from right to left, the left overflow getting more flow. Can I still use the box? :)

rvitko
12/17/2004, 10:25 AM
I am not convinced the bowfront tanks are of the soundest construction, lots of threads on them leaking and I have seen quite a few failures unfortunately. I am nervous to recommend it on a bowfront, especially if it isn't on a level surface.

alexwolf
12/17/2004, 10:33 AM
I have heard of the 72 leaking a lot, but never heard of a failure on the 175. Maybe I need to go to a 240 :) Can you help convince my wife lol..

rvitko
12/17/2004, 10:54 AM
I have seen 2 175's fail when I owned my shop and they were slow leaks not catastrophic but it makes me nervous to add more stress to a bowfront tank.

Do you have a DeLorean? Very cool cars, one of my neighbors has one and I have always liked them, I saw one for sale in Hemmings a few years ago with 86 original miles preserved straight off the showroom floor in a climate controlled garage, it was $17,000.

alexwolf
12/17/2004, 10:58 AM
I just sold it to a guy in El Paso. It was in fair shape and sold it for $11,000. There are always D's for sale on Ebay!!!! I must admit I am a little nervous about my tank, its about a year old, but bought both the tank and stand from Oceanic, so they have a 5 yr warranty!

tacocat
12/17/2004, 11:02 AM
The wave2K doesn't work very well IMO. The box I saw actually flexes a little on the downstroke. Flow was pretty weak as well.

rvitko
12/17/2004, 11:03 AM
Oceanic is very good about warranty coverage.

peterlin98
12/17/2004, 11:12 AM
Roger -
I'm getting my wavebox on Monday from pre-order with Champion Light months ago. It was shipped two days ago.

My tank is 211 gallon, 68 inch long x 30 inch wide, 24 inch deep.

I remember reading that I will need another pump opposit from wavebox that turns on to sweep detritus to overflow box after wavebox suspend detritus. Right now I just have a Mag 18 as my return - eventually will hook up to sea swirl when I find time. Is there instruction to configure the wavebox to synch with another tunze stream?

Do you think I will need to add a tunze stream to work well with wavebox? Or will the return pump on sea swirl be good enough?

Thank you,
Peter

rvitko
12/17/2004, 11:28 AM
On that size tank I think more than the return will be required. The multicontroller coordinates the Stream with the Wavebox, you have to use the 6000, 6100 or 6200 controllable Streams to do this. I would use a 6100.

DT's_Reef
12/17/2004, 12:32 PM
Roger,

With the Wavebox on my 120g (with 1 corner overflow on the same side as the wavebox), should my Stream 6000 be oriented on the opposite side? I currently have it next to the Wavebox, with the flow running along the back side of the tank.

rvitko
12/17/2004, 01:04 PM
Either way works but I would probably put it on the opposit side and run them on tide mode so the wavebox runs for 3-6 hrs and then the Stream takes over.

SeanT
12/17/2004, 02:04 PM
Roger,
How are the streams suposed to get rid of the detrius if it is running opposite times as the wavebox?
And while on the subject of streams...are deco rocks going to be made for the 6200's?
Thanks,
Sean

rvitko
12/17/2004, 02:14 PM
I think the 6200 deco rock is a dead idea. We just couldn't see a demand for more than about 50 of them per year and it just doesn't justify making them. Most people aren't so concerned with hiding them in large tanks because the tank is big enough to reduce the visibility.

When the wavebox cuts off the debris is still suspended, the Stream kicks on the second the wavebox turns off.

RGibson
12/23/2004, 09:40 AM
I would run the wave box at low speed to much pressure on the glass on the high speed.

mhurley
12/23/2004, 11:45 AM
RGibson,

You cannot control the "speed" of the box, if you are talking about a Stream where you can adjust from 30% to 100% power. The wavebox can only be adjusted for the duration of time of the pulsing on and off. When it is on, it runs at 100%.

You need to play with the timing to find the right pulse timing for your tank, otherwise you wont have a wave like effect, it will just be random bouncing water.

Tagareef
12/23/2004, 11:55 AM
You can adjust the size of the wave by adjusting the output of the driver via the adjustment screw.

I run mine full bore 24/7 on my 180 and am getting about an 1 1/4" wave.

Luis

mhurley
12/23/2004, 12:04 PM
Ahh...good point, I completely forgot about that driver screw, I've never touched those.

Tagareef
12/23/2004, 12:28 PM
Mike,

Are you going to put another Wavebox on your reef or are you satisfied with just the one?

It's interesting because when you look at the tank and stuff is going back and forth you don't really realize how much flow it is producing. I put my Streams in "Foodtimer" mode to feed the fish but left the Wavebox on. The current took the food everywhere...I had to check to make sure the Streams were off!

Luis

rvitko
12/23/2004, 02:31 PM
Luis, you said the wave was 1.25" high so it has a volume of 4.85 gallons and if the oscillation rate is 1 second which is what I think is about right for that size tank, the wavebox is moving nearly 17,000 gph.

Tagareef
12/23/2004, 02:49 PM
WOW!

And with one of two Stream 6100's running at any given time, it pushes that flow to over 20,000gph! That's over 120 times turnover rate for my tank.

Thanks for the info Roger.

Merry Christmas,
Luis

mhurley
12/23/2004, 02:58 PM
Luis,

No, I have no plans to put an extension box on my tank. So far, this one is plenty.

Snausages01
12/25/2004, 10:28 PM
How does the wavebox affect your overflow, specifically the noise?

mhurley
12/26/2004, 08:51 AM
It doesn't impact the performance, but it does change the sound. Instead of a constant tumble of water, it's....tumble...quiet...tumble...repeat.
The overflow box never empties so there's always a supply of water to drain to the sump.

Frisco
12/26/2004, 09:23 AM
Originally posted by mhurley
No, I have no plans to put an extension box on my tank. So far, this one is plenty.

wuss :D

DT's_Reef
12/26/2004, 01:48 PM
The wavebox does add some noise to your system.... more if your system was previously very quiet, and none to maybe a bit if your system was noisy to begin with.

However, it's a repetitive kind of thing that honestly does not bother me a bit, especially since I know it's benefitting my tank. The noise is mostly "white", like waves lapping at the shore (poetic, no?).

calciumbuf
12/28/2004, 12:01 PM
A couple of videos of it running.
http://bostonreefers.org/000_0277.mov
http://bostonreefers.org/000_0275.mov
http://bostonreefers.org/000_0258.mov

rwiecki
12/28/2004, 12:30 PM
I have a cube 3'X3'X3' with a center overflow. Can I use this wave maker with any success?????

curthendrix
12/28/2004, 01:31 PM
Calciumbuff,

Very nice. What is the size of your tank? Are you happy with the wavebox and water movement?

rvitko
12/28/2004, 02:57 PM
rwiecki- I honestly don't know how it would work, mainly because of the centered overflow and the width. The tank length is sufficeint and it should work but I can't say 100%.

calciumbuf
12/28/2004, 04:00 PM
My tank is an aga mega flow 210 , I am very very impressed with the intial results, looking forward to the long term results.

curthendrix
12/28/2004, 04:24 PM
Thanks.....having a 480g built right now. Designed it to accomodate a box. Trying to decide whether to get that order placed. Figure I will probably need a box and and extension. Have you or anyone on the board heard from anyone using an extension?

rvitko
12/28/2004, 04:44 PM
I only know of one person using the extension, maybe he will drop in, I don't know his screen name. I know others are using it too.

curthendrix
12/28/2004, 04:48 PM
Roger,

Tank dim are 82x44x30. Do you think an extension will be necessary?

rvitko
12/28/2004, 04:58 PM
Yes. 320-350 is the only grey area.

Red Sea Purple Tang
01/29/2005, 08:36 AM
Hey Curthendrix~ When you said your tank was being designed for the box, what is that going to do to the design?

I'm currently looking into a Wavebox for a 240g (96x24x25) but with dual overflows in the corners, I'm going to have a Tsunami going into those overflows.

curthendrix
01/29/2005, 05:31 PM
Red Sea.

If your tank has eurobracing, you need a couple of inches between the bottom of the bracing and your water level since the top of the wavebox has to be out of the water for air intake. Therefore, you want your overflows designed so your water level will be low enough to allow the top of the wavebox to remain above the water's surface during a wave crest. This is only a problem when your mounting the box under bracing though!!

Red Sea Purple Tang
01/31/2005, 07:49 AM
I was thinking of using a Wavebox as well as a manifold return. Do you think this is too much?

swellsearcher
04/21/2006, 05:32 PM
I am building a walk around 240 96X24X24 with one whole side (short side of course) being the overflow. Can I place the wave box right up against the overflow ? Would this affect performance ? It is a eurobraced tank.... how low do I need the regular water level to be ? Lastly, do I really need the ext. ? It is preety cost prohibitive... I plan on using two 6100 streams as well

hammondegge
05/07/2006, 06:34 PM
i have pretty much the same situation as 'swell'. 7' tank will be set up as a peninsula with the overflow at one end. can the wavebox sit next to the overflow?
also, is it a bad idea to run a wavebox in a 10yr old oceanic tank. all silicon appears to be in great condition.