PDA

View Full Version : Tunze 3115/2

geologeek
12/21/2004, 05:18 AM
Does anybody out there use one of these, and if so how do i fine tune the bubbles? i mean what level in the riser is optimal for it to work?

any advice would be appreciated!

rvitko
12/21/2004, 01:28 PM
Submerge it to the ridge on the side of the skimmer body, the one nearest the top. Plug the unit in with the venturi screw completely closed. Open it 2.5 to 3 full turns. Wait one week, it takes at least one week for the skimmer to break in and to give any accurate represetation of performance. The you can tweek it up or down in 1/4 turn increments until the skimmate is a tea color. It will be lighter than what many other skimmers produce and this has to do with the design leaning towards removal of cellulose and plant organics and less towards albumin. The skimmate usually has a chilli pepper like smell from the capsaicin in the algaes and not the really rotten smell of other skimmate, it will definitely be lighter, green to dark tea in color. The riser tube foam column is not of much consequence it is what the resulting skimmate is like that is important.

geologeek
12/22/2004, 09:32 AM
Thanks for the speedy reply! But from what you say will i need another skimmer to remove the albumin? ( the guy in the LFS said this was the best skimmer he has seen in a while - but was comparing to those silly prizm skimmers!!)

rvitko
12/22/2004, 10:00 AM
No, they remove it, but more slowly. It is a good skimmer but all skimmers vary in what they remove based on bubble size, contact time and flow through. Our design tends to remove plant matter preferentially and long term against skimmers that remove proteins preferentially the result is lower phosphate water while the competitor will have lower nitrate water.

geologeek
12/22/2004, 10:57 AM
You are a star! Thanks for getting back to me i was a little worried that i would have to spend more money on a skimmer that i have set aside for a wave box and osmolator from good old reliable tunze!

I have another question for you though! i have an above tank sump that is pump fed and gravity feeds back to the tank!

now i want the wave box and a water top off, now obviously the top off cant go in the sump as it will always be at a constant level,
and the water level in the aqarium will be variable due to the wavebox, but if i use an optical top off such as your osmolators in the tank and have the wave box on a timer to switch off when the osmolator comes on will this allow me to have a top off system on the tank??

any advice is appreciated!

rvitko
12/23/2004, 02:05 PM
The Osmolator will go in the sump, the sump water level is what changes as water evaporates, the tank will stay constant until the sump runs out. The wavebox isn't an issue in general because the sensor has be away from the water for a few seconds to start the pump, it will indicate the level is low, wait 8 seconds on average and then start the pump so a momentary disturbance isn't a big issue.

geologeek
12/23/2004, 03:58 PM
Thanks again for getting back but the thing is my tank basically is the sump of the system as the "sump" is above the tank and being pump fed and an outlet (at the level of the skimmer) it will always stay at a constant level.....wont it? i am confused!!

happy christmas anyway to one and all!

rvitko
12/23/2004, 05:11 PM
Hmm, I don't know, I have never seen it done this way but I guess that is true, you will have to mount the sensors in the tank.