PDA

View Full Version : Wavebox/Stream placement advice

reefboy1
12/27/2004, 03:19 PM
Hello Roger,

I'm in the inital planning stages of a new ~340 reef. I want incorporate compartments on the left side of the tank next to the overflows where I can hide 2 6200's and a Wavebox. Basically I want the streams to be hidden behind a wall with only the nozzle exposed to the display tank. Flow from the main display to this compartment will be via a 2" strainered opening and slots cut into the top (to look like the proper overflows). My hope is that the left side will just look like one continuous black overflow with a few ports for intakes and outputs.

My plan is to have the Wavebox in the middle of the left wall and the two Streams on the ends (one somewhat facing the front wall).

Here's a general diagram of the tank. I'm still roughing it out:

[/img]http://home.comcast.net/~reefboy1/General.jpg[/img]

and here's a detailed look at the overflow area with Facade's to hide the streams. Do you think the area that I've allocated is large enough to get a stream in and out?

http://home.comcast.net/~reefboy1/detailed_overflow.jpg

Additional flow will come from a closed loop whose sole purpose is to keep detritus off the ground. All CL returns will be low an pointed to the floor. The CL pump will only come during the day.

Thanks for any advise.

Art

rvitko
12/27/2004, 04:34 PM
The Streams should fit but keep in mind that they need a tremendous amount of water, more than most overflows can handle. It looks like you plan to use 6200's and they have 2.5" outlets (roughly, they are metric) They pump 5200gph.

reefboy1
12/27/2004, 04:52 PM
Thanks Roger.

I plan to put a two 2.5" holes in the wall. One will be for input and one for output (I should be able to move the Stream from one to the other depending on how things work out). Do you think that should permit enough flow?

Art

reefboy1
12/27/2004, 11:10 PM
Hmmm, looks like I hosed up that first link.

This one should work:

http://home.comcast.net/~reefboy1/General.jpg

rvitko
12/28/2004, 11:05 AM
It sounds like it would work but I don't know. Honestly, the Streams take up less real estate than the boxes you are building and with a wavebox and two streams, possibly a wavebox extnsion given your tank size is on the edge, a closed loop is completely unnessecary.

reefboy1
12/28/2004, 04:48 PM
Roger,

Thanks for the advise. I'll scale back the CL (still debating that one). So the Stream nozzles will fit through 2.5" holes?

If I added a Wavebox extension, where do you suggest I put it? Could I put then next to each other?

I'll be getting the 7095 multicontroller - does this control the Wavebox as well as the Streams?

Thanks again,

Art

rvitko
12/29/2004, 11:22 AM
You can put the two units near each other. The wavebox can be connected to the 7095 but when when you use the extension you cannot connect it because the jumpers are set to simultaneously control two units and the cable has to be used for the extension.

blgreef
12/30/2004, 05:30 AM
the funny thing is if you pull the pump out of the wavebox put it behind one of the partitions, ( increase the partition height) and you have an in built wavebox.

reefboy1
12/30/2004, 01:21 PM
I thought of that as well...

TexasTodd
01/03/2005, 11:05 AM
What does the "wavebox extension" look like and what does it do for the wavebox?

Thanks,

Todd

rvitko
01/03/2005, 11:54 AM
It is the wavebox, just with no controller, they share the controller and that is how they synchronise to work together. A wavebox is good for up to about 320gals, for every additional 320 you need an extension and you can use as many as 3 extensions with the controller.