PDA

View Full Version : Large Derasa Clam Issue

Illusion
12/31/2004, 04:31 PM
Ok A month ago I inherited a Larger 12" Derasa clam from a friend who just got it and decided he was going to get out of the hobby... From the person he got it from to his tank the clam got droppped or something.. I personally dont know... Anyways when he was putting it in his tank he said the Clam "Hinge" was completely broke... Well I ended up taking it and was planning on Healing the hinge hopefully... Anyways My tank has about 1-2" of sand on the bottom... I have several clams all species Except Hippo... The hinge that I speak of is at where to to halves are joined... Somehow it got broke to the point where the 2 halves move freely from each other... My plan was to set him in the sand with the 2 halfs lined up and just leave him alone and keep things stable... Well that doesnt seem to be working... One half will slide away and then he cant open properly... Is there any tips, Tricks or Ideas that I can do to help this poor clam... I personally dont know how it got injured all I know is that I want to save it... Clam seems healthy opens up and extends its mantle and looks perfect when the halfs are lined up properly...

HELP PLEASE

TIA,
James

Outerbank
12/31/2004, 08:45 PM
I don't know. You will have to be creative. Maybe cut some rubber bands and superglue them to the bottom of the clam to see how that would work.

Illusion
01/01/2005, 12:47 PM
I dont think I am gonna be doing that one Anyone Else???

Thanks Though

James

tschopp
01/02/2005, 08:12 PM
I have seen some concrete and thorite used to make a brace that was attached to a clam with a similar problem. I am not sure if that clam has healed yet, or how you would get it off when it does.

I would sugjest using 2 pieces of live rock and putting the clam between them. If you line it up about right the clam should heal.

Anthony Calfo
01/07/2005, 06:20 PM
the natural rubber bands will literally degrade within weeks... not an option :p

It's not even critical for you to repair this clam. Just keep it secure as suggested with live rock as a corral.

Anthony

Illusion
01/07/2005, 11:22 PM
Thanks Anthony... I put a pile of sand under it so It cant dig down to the Acrylic and it seems to be doing much better... Hopefully it will heal quickly...

James

Anthony Calfo
01/07/2005, 11:30 PM
do consider burying a very flat rock or even ceramic (natural) tile under it instead. It makes moving it much easier later than cutting it off the acrylic floor ;)

Illusion
01/07/2005, 11:41 PM
Anthony... Derasas this large do not attach they use their weight... About I believe its about 6" they loose their Bysal foot and use their weight...

;)

James

Anthony Calfo
01/07/2005, 11:45 PM
you may be right...