PDA

View Full Version : Is my new maxima bleaching

fd235158
01/03/2005, 07:23 PM
Hi everyone,
I got a 1.5 - 2" blue maxima last week and I've noticed some areas beggining to go white or lighten up anyway. It's right where the skin overlaps the shell. It's very responsive though and will quickly close when shadowed. I'm wondering if maybe it's a light issue (although I thought small maxima's were dependant more on feeding phyto). At the LFS it was in a small bucket on the side of a tank that had 2 400watt MH. It wasn't in the intense area of light though. I have a 55g with 220pc, 250 MH de 20k, and 175 MH se 10k. I would think this is plenty of light so the clam is on the sand. Should I move him closer to the light or is the clam maybe just adjusting to having more light. It seems brighter in my tank. Anyway any thoughts or ideas would be appreciated and if I'm just being a little paranoid let me know. Thank you

M.Maddox
01/04/2005, 12:15 AM
Never move photosynthetic invertebrates that are new to the system - let it be!

If it is bleaching (would be hard to tell, especially without a pic) then it could be due to stree from the acclimation. How did you acclimate it?

Give it time, and it should recover if it has bleached.

derrikd
01/04/2005, 12:22 AM
r u feeding? a clam that small needs food

fd235158
01/04/2005, 01:47 PM
I acclimated the clam by floating the bag and adding a quarter cup of water every 10-15 minutes for a few hours. I have been feeding DT's every other day using a bowl. I will start using the 2 liter method though for less stress. I guess that's really all I can do right? Thank you for the responses and if you can think of anything else please post it.

derrikd
01/04/2005, 03:31 PM
just give him time to see..