PDA

View Full Version : Mantis Shrimp, Nudibranch and Aiptasia

SaCe
01/09/2005, 08:03 AM
Hi all,

The tank my Mantis lives in has also developed Aiptasia. Unfortunately, he doesn't seem to mind as much as I do. I really don't want the stuff taking over. I've been reading that Berghia Nudibranchs eat Aiptasia. Would my Mantis allow these Nudibranchs to co-exist with it?

Sierra Face
07/02/2008, 08:33 PM
ooh!! i have the same problem in my itsy 14g. i've been doing some reading at different forums, and it seems that it depends entirely on the demeanor of your mantis.

justinl
07/03/2008, 03:57 AM
What speceis of mantis? I would imagine the smaller species might take a whack at them, but the bigger speccimens probably wouldn't give a hoot.

What you need to think about is whether or not you really need berghia and whether or not you are even capable of housing them. Is you tank really ridden with aiptasia or are there just a couple? Do you know what you're going to do when the nudis eat all the aiptasia and start to starve to death (and they will)? Are all your intakes and grills covered with sponge or some kind of very fine protection (they like to jump into blenders apparently)? Have you tried the other alternative methods of killing off aiptasia?

personally i like using a small needle and lemon juice shot into the stalk of the lil thing. pumps off and let the juice hover around the anem for about five minutes.

TrappedMetal
07/03/2008, 05:06 AM
there is a product called aptasia x over here and you literally squirt the offending aptaisia with the solution and they implode. its really quite fun.

LaDonaDorada
07/06/2008, 10:20 PM
you dont even need lemon juice, i used boiling h2o and insulin needles. killis them and doesnt do a thing to your tank. they shrink up turn black and dont come back. just don't use the needles get rusty. i never used mine more then 3-4 times and always wiped them off with warm h2o. oh yeah dont leave needles around or stick yourself bro.

btw needle are found at any pharmacy, lol just another weird thing reefers must buy and be judged for in the world.

Recty
07/06/2008, 11:32 PM
I can hear the pharmacist right now going "Sure... you want needles for you aquarium..."

Recty
07/06/2008, 11:32 PM
Stupid double posts.

Fuegan
07/08/2008, 01:54 PM
I used peppermint shrimp.

I had three, a long time ago now, I still have one. I do have a smaller species of mantis though.