PDA

View Full Version : My DIY LR Project (A Must Read) Progressive + Long Read

DLChaney
01/18/2005, 11:40 PM
This is going to be a progressive thread i will keep bumped with information on the subject, so keep looking, and keep the criticism coming, cause i eat it up!

=-=-=-=-=-My Mixture-=-=-=-=-=

I begin with the following ingredients:

Note : PPB = Portion Per Batch

* (2) 92.5 lbs. bag of Portland White Cement I/II *
- Price : $19.95/bag ($43.19 Total After Tax)
- PPB: 1
- Total Weight: 185 lbs.

* (4) 50 lbs. bag Crushed Oyster Shells ( Chicken Feed) *
- Price : $6.20/bag ($24.80 Total - Tax Free)
- PPB: 4
- Total Weight: 200 lbs.

Note: If you live in an urban area, reach for the yellow
pages and look under feed supply or tractor supply
call around and ask for crushed oyster shell chicken
feed (its a supplement added for digestion).

* (8) 40 lbs. Finest (Brand) Play Sand *
- Price : $2.22/bag ($19.22 Total After Tax)
- PPB: N/A
- Total Weight: 320 lbs.

Note: This stuff is dirt cheap (no pun intended), and i find
it to be cleaner than the play sand you find at home
depot for the simple reason that its from a specialty
store, which "usually" means higher quality product

Other Items:

- Rits Dye
- Free ( laying around the house )

- Bubble Wrap (small bubbles)
- Free ( laying around the house)

- (2) 50 Gallon Rhino Containers w/ Lid
- Price: 19.99/ Container ($43.28 Total After Tax)

- Random Amount Of Pasta
- Price: Free - $20.00
- Note: Use Various Shapes
- Anchellini (great for bubble shapes)
- Ziti (great for making small surface area increase)
- Macarroni (same as above)
- Rochetti (really cool shape)
- Chiocciole(amazing shape)
- Conchiglioni (shell shape)

- (3) Cheese Cloth
- Price: $2.98/package ($3.59 Total After Tax)

- (2) Water Hose Connector w/ Shutoff (3/8 inch input)
- Price: $2.19/unit ($4.74 Total After Tax)
- Note: These will be explained later.

people also like to add argonite sand, or sea shells from the beach to thier mixtures, choose your mixture to your taste, not mine. This is the mixture i used because i wanted durability, and the most porous mixture i could acheive.

======================
= Total Price: $138.82 =
= Total Lbs of DIY LR: 385 lbs =
= Price/Lb of DIY LR: $0.36/Lb =
======================

--At 3.25/Lb at your LFS 385 lbs of LR (uncured) would run you
approximately $1251.25

--I HIGHLY APPROVE OF MAKING YOUR OWN LIVE ROCK BECAUSE:

A. Easy on the wallet

B. Does not deminish from the Live Rock supply in the ocean (where it rightfully belongs)

C. You have the ability to make the Live Rock in the shape you desire
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
OK, now that we have all the stuff, lets get started.

1. (x2) Drill a hole in the bottom of the plastic container (make sure its the size of the connector you are planning to use, i used a 3/8 inch drill bit)

2. (x2) screw in the water hose connector to the hole accordingly, and test fitting by adding water into the container and check for leaks ( seal if neccesary)

-Note: This makes draining easy by just keeping the container where it is while curing, all you have to do is screw in the water hose, and place the outflow end where you want it to drain (into street for me) and turn the valve to let the flow out, the water pressure and gravity should allow for most of the water to leave.

3. Get a rough idea of how you want your DIY LR to look
Tips: Think 3-D when designing your rocks, and build from the bottom up.
Keep in mind the following concepts when brainstorming LR:
-Utilitarian, sturdy base
-Largest Surface area possible (more surface area, more biological filtration)
- caves + relaxing/hiding areas for your livestock
- you want to keep your livestock entertained (seriously) by have many swimming paths, holes, caves tunnels, etc.

4. Fill a seperate container(s) with the play sand only a few inches deep (you should choose your container accordingly to your tank size, and how large you want your piece(s) (ie: for a tank 24 inches high, you dont want to make a piece of DIY LR thats 36 inches high)

5. Once you have your sand in place wet it with a mist of the water hose (you want it to be like the sand at the edge of the water at the beach) and begin designing your live rock in a 3-D pattern by removing the sand out with your hands/tools. where you remove is where you will be filling in.
begin with the base area of the rock.

6. Once you have your base area designed, begin making your agrocrete mixture by adding 4 parts crushed oyster shells to every 1 part Portland White Concrete I/II Mix, i also like to mix in a little bit of play sand (only maybe a handful) to get a grain-like effect (from what i have read, silica play sand will have no short term or long term effects on your reef) Mix the dry components well

7. Once you have the dry components evenly mixed begin adding water will mixing evenly amongst the dry mix ( should be 1 part water that is equal in volume to the cement)

8. mix until you get an outmeal like texture of the DIY LR mix, you can add any of the components to get the texture you prefer, i like to add more shells to give more surface area and more porous rocks.

9. At this point, i like to spread the pasta mix of assorted pastas over the areas of where the LR mix will come in surface contact with. I also like to place small pieces of cheese cloth and/or bubble wrap the same way as thep pasta in order to get different types of surface areas (cheese cloth gives a scored effect, while bubble wrap creates a honey comb effect)

10. Begin scooping out the LR mix of the container and placing it accordingly into the spots you have created (with or without the "texture creators")

11. Begin moving up the sculpture by adding more wet sand ( i like to keep this on hand in a seperate container ( some people use dry sand) and filling in the hollow areas ( add "texture creators" as you choose)

Tip: Think unique creations, yet balance, you dont want to ruin something just because it wont stand up-right

12. Once you are satisfied with your sculpture, set aside to dry and repeat as much as you want, (you got 385 lbs to play with)

13. The Drying process depends upon the mixture you made, it will normally take 24-48 hours, so keep a constant eye on the rock, but be extremely careful when removing from the same. (Patience is a virtue).

14. Once fully dry, hose the rock off and physically remove any left over sand, pasta, bubble wrap, cheese cloth, etc.

15. Set aside to dry again

16. Place safely inside of your new curing bin.

Something i discovered along my trials and tribulations:

I realized that there is something to be had with frags, so i had a brainstorm. Here it is, goto the local grocery store and pick up a pack of the plastic mouth wash dixie cups. Catching on yet???

fill about 10 cups with your mix, and if you place the cups randomly inside your LR while creating it, you have a self made, fitting to glue your corals to, and when you remove the cups your fittings will fit snuggly into the crater created by the cups (pics coming soon). Giving you a way to move corals when neccesary without and harmful/damaging mods to your rock. if any needs more info to understand this (dont know if i explained it well) just reply to this thread. you could also use these plugs for a propagation system for corals.

More to come when the curing begins. Leave any experiences, comments or suggestions, hopefully this will become a sticky,

Sincerely,

DLChaney

DLChaney
01/18/2005, 11:41 PM
Edit: The price of the cheese cloth per package is less, the total after tax is correct

DLChaney
01/18/2005, 11:52 PM
corrections::

13. The Drying process depends upon the mixture you made, it will normally take 24-48 hours, so keep a constant eye on the rock, but be extremely careful when removing from the same. (Patience is a virtue).

Same = Container (*** was i thinking about?)

11. Begin moving up the sculpture by adding more wet sand ( i like to keep this on hand in a seperate container ( some people use dry sand) and filling in the hollow areas ( add "texture creators" as you choose)

filling in the hollow areas with the crete mix

anyone find any more, correct them for me lol, ty

moeandicy
01/19/2005, 01:00 AM
I made some DIY rock recently also using Garf's recipe. I currently have it curing in my bathtup (no my wife is not happy about this). It's been about 8 weeks now. When is the PH gonna stabilize????? It's killing me!!!! I change the water twice a day and the PH is still off the scale. I'm very curious to see how your project unfolds. I particularly like the pasta idea.

DLChaney
01/19/2005, 08:38 AM
i cannot credit myself with the pasta idea, i got this idea from reading a post of Coyote, so i give him full credit, and the curing just depends on how many water changes you do, and other factors, such as did you wash the oyster/coral shells before using them in the mix?

natual
01/19/2005, 10:29 AM
I like alot of your ideas,
1.But the pasta thing. I don't know about if some sticks to the rock or the pasta breaks off then you have a food source inside the rock leaching out sugar all the time.
2. Bubble wrap very nice bet it makes things bubblely.

3. Good Idea about the oster shells from a farm suppy, Do you wash it before you mix it in? (I am going to pick up some of that soon.)

When I make it I usually go to the local acrylic supplier and ask if I have their shavings from the table saw.

I add this to my crete, It is all different colors so it adds alittle spice to the extra white rock before it gets some good growth.
Plus since it has a different coeffient of expansion it creates a space all the way around the plastic, and when the crete drys it separates from the plastic.
Sometimes If I have a thick area I ball up alittle and stick it in the center to make the piece lighter.

Just some thoughts.

Keep us posted!

moeandicy
01/19/2005, 10:36 AM
Nope I didn't wash the oyster shell first. I just mixed it all up together. Maybe that's why it's taking so long. I would probably have given up by now except that there are some killer pieces that I reall want to see in my tank.

DLChaney
01/19/2005, 11:02 AM
i would try using muriatic acid (sp?) or vinegar, i have heard this work wonders, i would also try increasing the amount of water changes you do. Also, you can goto wal-mart and buy a few bubble stones and put them at the bottom of the curing container, i heard the constant flow of aeration and bubbles increases the curing process by alot. Just a few thoughts though, and yes, you should wash the shells as best as possible because all that dust is basically dry up oyster, not oyster shell

DLChaney
01/19/2005, 11:03 AM
i have only heard of that acid process, havent tried it myself though, so fair warning

DLChaney
01/19/2005, 11:05 AM
pictures of my newbie 1st attempt will be coming soon, possibly tonight

moeandicy
01/19/2005, 11:16 AM
I've also used vinegar and it drops the ph REAL low for a day or two then it comes back up. I'm doing two water changes a day. I will try the airstone though and see what happens.

natual
01/19/2005, 11:58 AM
Moeandicy:
Just out of curiosity do you have well or city water?

I am betting that it has either a chemical or natural hardness to it (some kind of dissolved basic material) in that as you do your water changes you are actually adding back a Ph spike.

Test the water from the tap and let us know.

P.S. If you are using water from your tap in the tub most likely the connection to your shower unit has copper pipes leading to it, and if it was putin before the early 80's pipes were sweated (connected) with a lead (Pb) flux core.

moeandicy
01/19/2005, 12:08 PM
Already tested the tap water and it's very low. When added to the rock it raises after a couple hours. The house was built two years ago. It's definately the rock still curing.

MarkM3
01/19/2005, 06:19 PM
About the pasta leeching sugar into the water comment. . . after several months and many water changes, the pasta will be dissolved and 100% gone before it makes it to your tank.

ddenham
01/19/2005, 07:54 PM
I've heard of someone putting small pieces of DIY LR in their toilet tank to cure... a water change with every flush.

DLChaney
01/19/2005, 08:07 PM
ok, took about 30 pics, ill be uploading them tonight hopefully, anyone got a good host site that is free? lol

DLChaney
01/19/2005, 11:38 PM
Images of my progress so far

This first cave is with Rits Dye (Purple)

I plan to make a batch of green and a batch of purple and do some mixing and matching

Tell me what you think

http://www.clanbbw.com/publicimg/data/images/CaveRock1.jpg

other side of the cave

http://www.clanbbw.com/publicimg/data/images/CaveRock1(2).jpg

This second batch i didnt use Rits Dye, and here is some rubble pieces

http://www.clanbbw.com/publicimg/data/images/Rubble.jpg

Here is an upclose look of the textures of the rock, i tried using bubble wrap on some pieces (top right corner piece) in order to create more surface area

http://www.clanbbw.com/publicimg/data/images/Rubble2.jpg

Here is the container i was talking about and the view of the nozzle i plan to use to drain the water quickly

http://www.clanbbw.com/publicimg/data/images/Container.jpg

Here is an arch of non rit

http://www.clanbbw.com/publicimg/data/images/Arch1.jpg

DLChaney
01/19/2005, 11:39 PM
Here is a mini cave i made

http://www.clanbbw.com/publicimg/data/images/Bubblewrapcave2.jpg

Here is another view of the cave (notice the texture)

http://www.clanbbw.com/publicimg/data/images/Bubblewrapcave.jpg

Here is a double arch (dont think i will use this)

http://www.clanbbw.com/publicimg/data/images/Doublearch.jpg

Here is me waiting for stuff to dry, giving the crazy eye

http://www.clanbbw.com/publicimg/data/images/readytogo.jpg

Here is a tube i made

http://www.clanbbw.com/publicimg/data/images/Tube.jpg

This is a large piece with the "plug" i was talking about, notice the circular hole

http://www.clanbbw.com/publicimg/data/images/LargePiece1.jpg

And this is the "plug" that corresponds with the hole

http://www.clanbbw.com/publicimg/data/images/Plug.jpg

Here is the plug in place, nice and snug

http://www.clanbbw.com/publicimg/data/images/Largepiece2.jpg

Here is my helper (My GF) all tuckered out.

http://www.clanbbw.com/publicimg/data/images/Tuckeredout.jpg

Here is a picture of all the LR and plugs i have made so far, some pieces are total crap, and i will be selling them by weight after curing them if anyone is interested, if you live in the Houston area, i will even take the time to drop it off at your location.

http://www.clanbbw.com/publicimg/data/images/LRLot.jpg

So far, not so good, only have a few pieces i am satisfied with, and i still have lots of ideas brewing in my head, i will keep posting pictures of the rocks and more of the actual process itself, leave some feedback, positive or negative, either is good

Dustin

DLChaney
01/19/2005, 11:44 PM
Images that didnt show up

http://www.clanbbw.com/publicimg/data/images/CaveRock1v2.jpg

http://www.clanbbw.com/publicimg/data/images/Rubble1.jpg

corb66
01/20/2005, 12:47 AM
where did you get that poster behind the chair? Too funny.

DLChaney
01/20/2005, 07:17 AM
its actually a massage therapy poster, that room used to be a massage room, but its now just a second living room w/o a TV where my family likes to sit/read/talk etc

niko5
01/20/2005, 08:04 AM
Thats pretty cool

I like the Dye idea

DLChaney
01/20/2005, 11:16 AM
thank you, but what do you think of my rock shapes? are they good, bad? not real enough, etc

DLChaney
01/20/2005, 08:08 PM
no one has any opinions, its been read 323 times, and no one has any opinions?

coyoteseven
01/20/2005, 09:52 PM
Thanks for the mention DL. :) The pasta method wasn't my original idea and I wish I could remember where I first heard about it, in order to give credit where it's really due. Who knows, the idea is probably decades old or more.

I like the bubble wrap textures, I never thought about that one, but I'll definitely be using it in the future. Also the Dixie cup thing is nice. Working in a medical area as I do, I've used the 1oz. plastic med cups to make my plugs and holes.

The dyed rocks look really cool! :thumbsup: It would be hard to tell them apart from coraline covered LR when put side-by-side in the tank.

All-in-all, excellent work... ... can't wait to see it in the tank after you get it cured.

Icedawg4563
01/20/2005, 10:03 PM
This would have been easier. Use limestone, about 25c/pound and you can carve it. It is safe to use but I like your diy lr

DLChaney
01/20/2005, 10:13 PM
lime will leach into your tank and you will have a mass grave yard.

DLChaney
01/21/2005, 11:13 AM
bump!

Aquayne_wv
01/22/2005, 09:12 AM
The Pasta idea came from the old "coral farming school" from GARF. I dont think they reccomend it anymore. Dont see why soaking in water for 3 months would get it out of the middle of cement.
I love the texture of the bubble wrap. I also like the smooth rocks. They would look great in an African Rift Lake tank.

Aquayne:rollface:

Aquayne_wv
01/22/2005, 09:15 AM
Icedawg,

Do you realize that limestone is what they use to gravel roads. It is heavy and Very hard to carve. It is nonpourous also.
Hand cast is much better.:p

DJ88©
01/22/2005, 09:13 PM
Originally posted by DLChaney
bump!
In our ongoing effort to continually improve Reef Central, the RC Staff would like to encourage everyone not to reply to threads with “Just Tagging Along” or other noncontributory comments. These kinds of replies are discourteous to the others who are subscribed to that thread as this causes them to reopen threads that have no useful additional information. It also makes it difficult for the moderators and Team RC members to find threads with no replies thus not serving the thread originator. If you want to follow a thread of interest, please use the “subscribe to this thread” link below the quick reply box. The effect will be the same. You can easily track the thread of interest in the subscribed threads section of your “My RC” page.

We would like to thank you in advance for your cooperation in this matter.

Regards,

The RC Staff

Herpervet
01/22/2005, 10:35 PM
Originally posted by DLChaney
lime will leach into your tank and you will have a mass grave yard.

Actually limestone, crushed coral, aragonite, crushed oyster shell, etc. are all very nearly the same chemically.

Limestone rocks are one of the most common decorations used for African rift lake cichlids.

If you make it up to the hill country you can get 'em from the source.

See ebay listings for "Texas Holey Rock" wow the prices have gotten out of hand and they are selling them like individual works of art rather than rock. We used to simply sell it by the pound back in the day.

:eek:

Rurouni Kenshin
01/23/2005, 12:13 AM
Nice lookin rock, I know what I will be doing for rock for my new tank. Your girl friend looks nice too ;)

DLChaney
01/23/2005, 12:18 AM
thanks, on both the rock and the GF, sorry about bumping the thread. and i still think having straight limestone in the water is just tooooo risky for something you put so much effort into

Herpervet
01/23/2005, 12:35 AM
Limestone is actually very safe in saltwater aquariums as well as most freshwater aquarium with very few exceptions. This is based on years of experience. Trust me there isn't much risk. The risk in not curing that concrete enough is far greater as it can dramatically increase the ph of the tank.

Your creations look very nice by the way. The bubble wrap idea is a good one.

lucent1123
01/28/2005, 04:53 PM
Great looking rock. I am going to try and get some local club members together to try it here in Nashville. There is a very good thread on how to cure this stuff, and vinegar was used to help speed up the process. As I recall, once you feel the rock is cured, you want to allow the rock to sit at least two more days, with no water changes, no movement at all. If the ph is still ok, then you are good to go. What kind of dye did you use? I realize it was Rit, but is that the standard fabric dye, or did you use the cement dye?

The shapes are great, and I like the idea of the cup holders for future frags, very inventive. As I have a 500 gallon to fill, I have a lot to create, but it will be worth not taking it out of the ocean.

Keep up the great work.

Howard

Siapin
02/08/2005, 05:12 PM
You were asking for opinions on the shape of the rock in the pictures. I don't like them very much. The real thing doesn't have little holes and caves in them.

Also, IMHO the pink rocks themselves look like barf. But I would like to see them in an aquarium; it would probably look better.

All in all, I think it's cool that you are making your own rock. That's creative!

vanillaprice
02/09/2005, 07:11 PM
Is your homemade rock kind of brittle. I have made the rock with three different recipes. They are not real strong. I can break small peices off pretty easily. Do you have this problem. I am letting it cure in the moist sand for a day and then putting it in water for several days. Any ideas how to make it stronger. I do not want it to crumble in my tank.

Bugs825
02/10/2005, 05:19 AM
Hey guys,

I wish that everyone would get into making their own live rock. Here in Florida, LR is 7-9 bucks a pound! Go figure! Not to mention the way that it is "Harvested".

Our reef club
ACROS (http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?s=&forumid=261)

I am hosting our meeting this month and we are making rock!
I live in Venice, Florida and anyone intrested please post in our thread for info.

I like the purple dye. Good shapes. I will take pics of the meeting and the rocks that we made and post them.

Heres my cure tank
http://reefcentral.com/gallery/data/3806/73180TheDipTank.JPG

Keep the ideas flying
Nathan

tbrennan
02/10/2005, 08:10 AM
tonga branchhttp://reefcentral.com/gallery/data/500/43475tonga__Small___2___WinCE_.jpg

Siapin
02/10/2005, 10:44 AM
If that tonga branch is fake, pretty impressive

tbrennan
02/10/2005, 12:18 PM
Crush osyter shell and play sand and some old dead coral took a gall bucket poke holes in the sand fill then add more sand and keep pouring that way you get round branches it takes a little longer to setup I leave it in the sand for two days air dry for a week then throw it in the canal for a month (brackish water)and finish with a week in saltwater. The branches are starting to look good now that corals and coraline is growing on them

thedogofwar
02/20/2005, 01:11 PM
DLChaney

thanks for the writeup and good info, it's been very helpful. I have a couple questions/comments.

Looking at your rock I see something that I don't see in others, the existing contrasts and shades in color. It's great and looks almost like it has been in a tank for a short while already. Do you know why? Is it a mixture of dyed mix or possibly the pastas? I thought maybe it was shadows or camera tricks but it's apparent in at least one closeup.

About the dye, did it get lighter or darker after it cured? how much?

How much of the mold material ends up sticking to the outside of the rock? hopefully none if done right, correct?

thanks again and good work.

burton14e7
02/20/2005, 05:17 PM
THe only thing I could think of negatively and sorry if this was already said, is the rock pouros? I think the important thing about rock is that it's pouros allowing water to flow through it and feed all the bacteria hiding in all the nooks and cranies inside the rock.

gobygoby
02/20/2005, 05:49 PM
Just curious if the dye has any negative effect in a tank? Any answers other then "it just doesnt hurt anything"

Thanks
Goby

Ebisan
02/20/2005, 05:57 PM
Any tank pics of the DIY rocks yet? I've seen some of the man-made rocks at the LFS and it is very hard to tell the difference from real rocks.

rjkook
02/20/2005, 06:23 PM
rock looks good how does the dye hold up and is it safe??? ive made alot of my own live rock a good tip is to keep the mix dry as possible for increased pourosity most of my rocks will run water straight through them. does the pasta break down????

GoldStripe
02/20/2005, 09:48 PM
Great looking rock. I made 3 batches over the last six months and I get better with every batch. I think the "sloppier" you lay it in your sand molds, the better. Yes the rock is extremely porous. I used crushed coral because I didn't know about the chicken feed idea. The rock will drip for at least 10 minutes after taking it out of the water. I got all my info for agrocrete from garf.org as well

sunfishh
04/26/2006, 06:35 PM
Bump
This thread is loaded with info and I had a really hard time finding it. I am sure other folks who have not seen it will enjoy it :)