PDA

View Full Version : Checking Lr for Mantis

Thumper1
01/28/2005, 11:45 AM
I'm about to add 240 pounds of Florida Keys rock and I really dont want the task of playing hide and seek with these mean little boogers if I can keep from it. Can I dip the rock in a certain type of water to remove any unwanted hitchikers without hurting any any of the good ones. This rock is known to have Mantis shrimp and I'll glady donate any I find if I can remove them before hand.

crafty_50mitchell
01/28/2005, 08:08 PM
One easy way to do it with that much rock is to set aside a bucket of freshwater and dip each peice of rock in it for 10-15 seconds, then on to the next one. Be sure to keep something close by to put the mantis in if you find one that jumps ship, and keep me in mind if you run across any, Ill gladly pay for shipping costs if your down.
Cheers,
Brian

Thumper1
01/28/2005, 08:17 PM
IF this works their all gladly yours. My buddy got 80 pounds of this rock 2 months ago and it had 2 in it, But he had to chase them around the tank, I hope I find 0 but I'm guessing 5 or more.

crafty_50mitchell
01/29/2005, 05:42 AM
Where are you getting your rock from? Im assuming its most likely TBS rock, which usually does pack a few stomatopods. One more trick is to keep a small injector and some spritzer water close by, if you dip (or see one of them but he's not coming out) spray some spritzer in there and that seems to motivate them to move even quicker.
Brian