PDA

View Full Version : Pseudosquilla ciliata (the rainbow mantis) food

zero_one
01/28/2005, 10:23 PM
I have one of these guys about 4 inches long, farily large i'd say. What do they eat? Hes very active, right now there is a green chromid in his tank for him to eat but what do they prefer? Any sugestions on feeding habbits? He is not very agressive, you can poke him with sticks and he does not really do much but move away. Not sure if this is normal or what, hes not shy at all and is very intresting to watch.

zero_one
01/29/2005, 11:20 AM
His name is offically Uncle Rico.

http://home.comcast.net/~emk01/pictures/22.jpg

Uriel
01/29/2005, 04:39 PM
Well, he doess not have dactyls(smashers), so he would not exactly be able to whack the stick in defense. they are also noted as being outgoing, so he probably isn't scared of the stick anyways. if you have ever given him food from the stick, he probably just though that it was dinner time.

Funny: I just put the stick into my G. Ternatensis' tank. Whenever i do, she gets excited (I have only had her for 4 days, and she already knows that stick=food. In this case, I usually let a snail climb onto it and offer her the tasty escargot). Anyways, she didn't strike it, she even let me push it right against her, taping(lightly) against one of her dactyls. No problem, she must not see it as a threat at all, or me, for that matter.
On the other hand, my friend Scott just leaned in while we were watching her smash a snail. She ignores me, or looks up to watch me from time to time whenever se is eating and i am watching. Scott said 'What's she doing?'.
I looked and there she was, in full threat display,facing him down through the tank. He laughed and that seemed to make her more agitated (perhaps the sound was intolerable, I know that I think his laugh is annoying...). She rose up higher, climbing between 2 rocks and opening her arms wider and flaring her antennal scales . He backed down, because he knows what's good for him (I was also saying, go ahead, put your hand in there,man...she wants a hug).

venwu225
01/30/2005, 03:57 AM
The animal does have dactyls, its just the organs are in shapes of sickled, serrated spears instead of the calcified hammers.
You provide him with a nice hiding place, then try some krill or small pieces of fish. That would make him/her feel more "at home".

Uriel
01/30/2005, 06:05 AM
I stand corrected (on terminology,at least), in that a P Cilata has no smashers, but spearing arms instead.. I agree with venwu225 in that you just need to probide some suitable lair, should he/she want to hide and food, and it will eventually get comfortable and eat.

My new G. tern ate immediately, while it too a couple of days for the G. Platysoma to eat. Once he has found enough rubble to close off his cave (a quick trip to a LFS for LR rubble did the trick), he was great.

-Ron