PDA

View Full Version : Issue with ZZLTMHR42MHVHO 48RF2175W+ACT110W Retrokit MH ballast.

mjstech
02/10/2005, 12:48 AM
This is a 2x 175w MH 2x 110w VHO retrokit. I upgraded the MH to 2x 175w Ushio 10k. Only one of the MH bulbs will light up. I have swaped the bulbs and it's still the same. I was billed on Nov 18th, 2004 for it, I know I waited a long time to get it, and then they forgot the VHO bulbs. And they overcharged me $2.00 (small amount, in know). All in all, this retrokit was over $500 and it isn't working. I have very little use on it so far.

I am wondering if anyone knows what kind of warranty is on this kit. I did email them earlier, I am wondering if anyone else has info.

mark

argi
02/10/2005, 09:13 AM
Hi Mark,

Thank you for your order and inquiry. From your description it sounds like the ballasts are working properly, it is just one of the bulbs.

Was the metal halide bulb working at first and then stopped, or have you just installed it and it is not working from the beginning? If you just installed the fixture and the bulb will not fire, please try leaving the bulb on for at least 8 hours for 3-5 days. Sometimes metal halide bulbs have to burn in before they start lighting properly. Even if the bulb does not turn on, or turns on and off, leave it on for 8 hours. Do not turn it on and off. Normally with in the 3-5 days the bulb will start to fire properly from then on. If after the 3-5 days, the bulb still will not light, please call us at 1-714-385-0080 as the bulbs do have a 9 month prorated warranty. This prorated warranty will also cover the bulb if it has stopped working for you after a few months.

I apologize the VHO bulbs were not shipped with the unit. Has this been taken care of for you at this point?

Also if you could please let us know your order number so we can have our order processing department check on the billing for you. If you were overcharged, we will make sure you are refunded the amount you were overcharged.

Looking forward to your reply.

Keith M.
Marine Depot Customer Service
1-714-385-0080
http://www.marinedepot.com
customercare@marinedepot.com

mjstech
02/10/2005, 05:15 PM
The side in question has always taken forever to turn on.
I have had the tank up and running for about 4 months, I try to run the MH lights on 6-8hrs a day. I have swapped the bulb to the other side, and the same thing happens, so it is not the bulb that is the problem. The good side is on 100% within a min or 2. I have never turned the MH lights off/on/off/on... since I got it.

I am not worried about the late shipping of the VHO bulbs, or the $2.00 overcharge anymore. When I bought this, Ben R. was the CSR. He took pretty good care of me.

I will continue to try to run the lights as you said, and will reply/call in a few days.

Thanks for the quick reply.

mark

argi
02/10/2005, 10:35 PM
Hi Mark,

Thank you for your reply. If you have had the system running for the past few months and it has always taken some time to turn on and now will not fire the bulb, it may be the capacitor possibly in the ballast box. Please give us a call at 1-714-385-0080 so we can just double check with you to make sure that is the case.

Ben is definitely a great person to deal with and if you would like, I am sure he would be able to help you again if you ask for him when you call. Or any one else at Marine Depot should be able to help you out if Ben is not available.

Keith M.
1-714-385-0080

mjstech
02/16/2005, 08:26 PM
Ok, I did the testing over the past few days. Running the lights how you said.
I still have had no luck. I redid some stuff inside my tank, so I took the hood off. I have been checking the lights for the past 6 hours. Only the one will fire. It does so very fast. The other light will not turn on now. Even when I switch it to the other side.
So I think I do have a bad light, but that doesn't explain why earlier, when I would switch sides, the bulb would fire on the other side.

I would like to have you guy help me look inside the ballast box too, to just make sure it isn't a cap issue. I will call on Thusday to figure out what to do next.

Thanks, Mark

argi
02/17/2005, 09:20 AM
Hi Mark,

Thank you for your reply and update. Please do give us a call so we can get this taken care of for you. Over the phone we should be able to help trouble shoot the problem and get your lighting system working again.

Looking forward to your call.

Keith M.
1-714-385-0080

mjstech
02/17/2005, 06:22 PM
To other reefcentral users.
I just called MD and talked with Ben. He will be sending out some new Caps and I'll put them in and test 'her out. Also I was offered a nice sized store credit for the little $2.00 mixup. (which I plan on using at mdlive)
Awsome support.
Thanks again,

mark

mjstech
02/17/2005, 11:48 PM
hehe, i don't know what's going on, but I just was out tonight and when I came home the both MH lights were on.
I'll still see if the caps help make the bulb turn on faster.
Sigh,
I don't know,

mark