PDA

View Full Version : Nassarius Snails

guysmiley
02/18/2005, 09:53 AM
Good morning.

Sadly, I think I lost one of my Crocea clams last night. I see it this morning and there are a bunch of Nassarius Snails inside the clam shell and it looks like they are eating the clam. Do you think they are just cleaning up or do you think they were the cause?

I have other clams that I don't want this to happen to.

Garrick.

mrpink44
02/18/2005, 11:28 AM
Personally, I've never read anything about nassarius snails killing a clam. My don't bother mine. I would think they are just cleaning up. Whenever something dies in my tank or excess food gets to the sand the nassarius snails are the first ones there! There sense of smell must be incredible!

Vili_Shark
02/18/2005, 12:06 PM
There was a free meal alarm in the tank, so they came out ; )

I have around 20 nassarius in my tank, I never seen any of them incld at night with a red torch light , bothering my clams.

On the other hand, when a clam is dying, they smell it, find it and eat the clam, they have very good smell sence and also amazing capacity for food.

guysmiley
02/18/2005, 12:13 PM
Thanks alot for getting back to me. I figured it was just a cleanup job. I don't know what happened to the clam because it seemed to be doing so well. I don't even know how many snails I have. I started with 4 and I'd sear there are over a hundred in there now. They must breed quickly! I guess if they are well fed on clam meat!

Garrick.