PDA

View Full Version : 6100 Stream pumps

aqualab
02/19/2005, 12:08 PM
Both pumps are making a noticebly loud click/tick when they come on each time, just initially when the prop starts to turn - spooks my fish and clam. I cleaned both pumps but they still click, I dont remember them doing this when I first got them. Anybody else notice this with theirs? I can hear it from the other side of the room - 20' away. It is not a performance issue - just an annoying noise that alerts me each time the pumps cycle on.

Thanks,
Bill

aqualab
02/19/2005, 12:44 PM
Okay, I inspected my pumps and it appears that I do not have the "red" o-rings as described in other threads, however it shows them in the pump instructions. The TS-24 Kit I purchased is described as having the modified fish safe configuration - did they leave the o-rings out by mistake during production? How can I get them?

Bill

rvitko
02/19/2005, 11:05 PM
Their should be 2, one about 1/2" in diameter that goes at the bottom of the bearing in the pump and the pumps would likely not work without these and the small 1/4" one that is under the propeller- you have to remove the prop and it is under the shaftdown inside a grove, this one is the noise reducing one. Are these new pumps or have you had them for a while. I would expect this noise if the pumps have been used less than a week or recently cleaned and possibly still have air inside them.

aqualab
02/20/2005, 09:20 AM
Hi Roger,

The pumps are 5-months old, they do not have the small o-ring that sits behind the prop in the groove - checked it yesterday. They didnt fall out because I never took the prop off before when I cleaned the pump, just pulled out magnetic shaft and wiped down. After looking at the guts of the shaft, it appears that the o-ring would remove any slack behind brake mechanism, eliminating noise assciated with vertical thrust when initially energized?

How can I get these o-rings?

Thanks,
Bill

rvitko
02/20/2005, 09:21 AM
Just PM me an address and I'll get them out to you.

aqualab
02/20/2005, 09:23 AM
Oh yeah, I followed your advice and re-assemble the shaft back into the pumps below water to prevent any air from being trapped in pumps.

thanks,
Bill

aqualab
02/26/2005, 09:53 AM
Roger,

Received the o-rings yesterday, installed them this morning - took care of the problem - no clicking noises. Thank you for quick response and shipment of parts.

Bill

rvitko
02/26/2005, 05:03 PM
That was fast, Texas to New York in what 3 days for 37c. Who says the postal service is a failure? :lol: