PDA

View Full Version : Crocea Nutrition Questions

reeferaddict
02/24/2005, 01:02 PM
I have four T.Crocea clams that I have 4"-5" under 260wt PCs.
I have had two for over two years, one for about a year and a half and the other for about six months. Until a month ago, all were very healthy, no gapping and very well attatched to the LR.
I guess I should add that I also target feed about 2oz of DTs every two or three days.
Well, as noted, about a month ago the smallest clam(3") began to become unattatched, and a week or so later a larger clam(5") began to da the same. I have read that weakening of the byssal threads, however it is spelled, is a sign of malnutrition, so I am targeting these two more when it comes to phyto feeding. The two remaining clams still appear to be healthy, and the two that have unattatched still open up and the mantles look good. I can see new growth on the shells of three, all but the last one added, as indicated by new whiter scutes at the shell's edges.
I don't suspect calcium as an issue (reads a little above 400)
I am confused.....Any ideas or info that could help...

mbbuna
02/24/2005, 01:12 PM
how are u target feeding them? u dont want to squirt anything into them,u can clog there gills. when clams get 3" and over all u realy need to do for feeding is add DT's to the tank. at that size they rely more on light for there food. send pics if u can

Peabody
02/24/2005, 01:18 PM
What is your ALK? Even with good nutrition croceas won't grow much under those lights. Not meant in a nasty way, but you're lucky to have them alive. most I've seen bite the dust around 6 months under similar light.

ExoticWonders
02/25/2005, 10:09 AM
I would have to slightly disagree with peabody, I have both maxima and crocea in a 55 running pc's at a total of 6.4 watts per gallon. No problems with any of my clams and good growth. Reeferaddict did not say what size tank they are in. Just remember that they will grow faster under metal halides, but that they will still grow under pc/vho as long as the light intensity is there. I change one bulb every two months, which equals out to each bulb getting changed twice a year instead of every 10 months.

reeferaddict clams can sometimes just get up and move if they dont like something. Did you change flow rate/direction in your tank? Have you made any changes to the tank (add some big coral that is suddenly changing flow in the tank?) As long as the clams are still healthy I would not stress about it to much. They should re-attach by themselves.

Mario

Just my 2 cents

Peabody
02/25/2005, 11:50 AM
Exotic Wonders: Oh I know...I've seen it done successfully too, and your changing one bulb every 2 months is REALLY interesting!

My point is only that I (and many others arounnd here) have seen good reef keepers not get maximas and croceas to last past about 6 months with PC bulbs. Not every person, but many.

ExoticWonders
02/25/2005, 01:04 PM
Peabody

my post was not meant as a flame. Just a different point of view, and a different way of doing things. I said only slightly disagree.

Peabody
02/25/2005, 01:13 PM
Not taken as a flame :) That's why we're here...to express different experiences!

reeferaddict
02/25/2005, 05:25 PM
Well they have been happy and healthy with definite growth for over a year, one for two years! I will keep an eye on alk. And when I target feed it is a general area, not right in the siphon of course. The tank is a 40 long btw but I don't believe in wts per gallon since they are only 4"-5" under the lights i think thats much more important. thanks guys for the input....any more ideas would be nice.

Peabody
02/25/2005, 09:50 PM
4-5" would make a big difference in the light they are getting Congrats on your success!

xdusty6920
02/26/2005, 08:46 PM
just thought id share that i went down to a lfs that is a little further then i usually go for a lfs. but i was bord so i went the extra miles and was glad i did. i saw a 70g clam only tank. i talked to the owner some and he said the tank had been up for years and there were several dozen clams in the tank. (2 or 3 were not for sale) but one in particular that wasnt for sale stuck out to me. it was a 13 inch maxi. he said he had bought it when it was about 3 inches. it was stunning with derasa, crocea, hippos, squas, and maxis all over. but what makes this all so much more interesting is that from day one they have been under pc lighting.

mbbuna
02/26/2005, 08:51 PM
u can live on bread and water also

Peabody
02/26/2005, 10:22 PM
(Post not directed at original poster...)

Exactly, mbbuna. It can be done, but it's like feeding a dog only potato chips. Sure they can live, but it's not the nutrition they get in the wild!

I saw a guy with a maxima under PCs he had for 3-4 years. And I've seen many fail time and time again. I've seen several LFSs have PC clam tanks, but most, if not all of the clams in it are for sale, and don't stay in the tank longer than a month.

Long story short....I did not buy MH because they were cool. In fact, I hate the heat, hate the expense, hate the fixtures, etc. I wish I could have just PCs! But, after seeing dozens (hundreds online!) of clam keepers have thriving clams under MH, and many struggling to keep them alive under PCs (and trying myself for a while), it was an easy decision.
Our friend, Reefer addict is one of the lucky ones! :)

foob
02/26/2005, 11:39 PM
I actually love MH. Because of their intensity even with deep tanks. I can keep them at higher heights, giving me more space to work with. Also their heat isn't a problem with good air movement.

mbbuna
02/26/2005, 11:52 PM
yes peabody! i had clams under pc's too. u can tell they like it better.

Peabody
02/27/2005, 12:02 AM
Foob: I agree. THey have MANY good points. I was just outlining the con side :)

Mbbuna. I had a squamosa under 2x65 under a 15g shallow tank for a few months. I switched it out for a single 175w MH bulb and the difference was like night and day for his health, color,and growth. I made no other changes.

mbbuna
02/27/2005, 12:11 AM
i hear ya peabody