PDA

View Full Version : Disappointing Tunze experience

Playdope
02/25/2005, 04:53 PM
After posting several times in this forum, and asking if the Tunze 6000 w/multicontroller would be too much flow for my 100 gal (5ft. long tank), I was assured it would not be too much. After putting the pump in my tank, I noticed that some of my LPS, and softies were not taking well to the additional flow.

I have yet to find a solution to putting this pump to use in some alternative manner. I am unclear as to how to put it to use with a spraybar, and I am not sure if there is any other way to reduce flow by overriding the multicontroller directly from the box.

The stream from the Tunze literally goes from one side of the tank, and bounces off the opposite wall of the tank giving a temendous back draft of constant current. After trying to position the pump in just about every possible location, having the settings on the remote controller all the way knobbed to 0, and moving my corals that were not doing well to the most shaded areas from flow possible.... I am confident that I was truly mislead in purchasing this unit for my setup.

I made a point to mention that the other flow in the tank that would be present in addition to the Tunze are:

-Iwaki 30RLT (510gph - handles headpressure - one return location as the return pump)
-Iwaki 30RLXT (960gph - two return locations n a closed loop)
-Maxijet 1200 breaking surface tension

However, it seems the above have had little impact, seeing that when the Tunze turns on all of the flow is overtaken in the tunzes continuous unidirectional path.

I am convinced that I would have been better off with another Maxi jet 1200 and a wavemaker for some variable flow. This is truly disappointing.

rvitko
02/25/2005, 05:13 PM
I would be very surprised if any expert on corals would tell you you have too much flow. If you want to believe you were deliberately misled more power to you, if you actually want to solve the problem rather than just complain. I would try a pulse from 30% to 50% blowing the entire length of the aquarium. The corals would have reacted adversely momentarily to any change, that means nothing, you need to give them a couple weeks and then gauge the reaction. I would be very surprised to find someone who truly believes you have given these animals more flow than they have in the wild, somehow they do just fine in the reefs.

rvitko
02/25/2005, 05:35 PM
http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=529982

Here you state you have been using the pump for 3-4 months and never menntion this problem. I don't take lightly to the accusation I deliberately misled someone and would like to know exactly what prompted this post.

Ti
02/25/2005, 08:05 PM
If you wanna sell it let me know.

NwG
02/25/2005, 08:35 PM
I will give you a few RIO's for it..... Tunze has most likely the BEST reputation in SW Mfg.. Nobady forced you to buy it... I can see by reading your post that you came to this conclusion with 1 coral.... I think you would be hard pressed to find anybody around here that shares your views....

phil519
02/25/2005, 11:08 PM
Hmm - I'm sorry to hear the tunze isn't working out for you.

I really think you should follow-up your initial post and re-word your claim of being misled. Frankly I wonder if it constitutes a breach of the RC user agreement (http://www.reefcentral.com/agreement.php).

Anyway - take a look at this article on Water Flow: How much is enough? (http://www.wetwebmedia.com/circmarart.htm). I found it to be very helpful and in fact was one of the key factors in making my own decision to purchase a tunze.

bwanders
02/26/2005, 01:50 AM
edited by that other community

Treg
02/26/2005, 09:25 AM
I have 2 Tunze 6000's, 2 Hagen 802's (400 gph) a MJ 1200 and a Mag 9 return (about 700 gph) in my 4 foot long 90g tank... With a DSB. Its Almost enough flow for me. :)

When I added the Tunze's I took out a second MJ 1200... It might go back in. ;)

kev apsley
02/26/2005, 09:29 AM
sorry your softies and lps aren't happy. Tunze is a great product and many sps keepers love them due to the fact that sps love more flow than softies and lps.

doxyman
02/26/2005, 09:49 AM
I usually refrain from responding to negative threads because there are usually two sides to every story, but in this case, I feel a need to respond. I find it hard to believe that you were misled in your decision to purchase the Stream. In this thread (http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=236069) that you posted, Roger suggested other (Tunze & non Tunze) products & options that should be used INSTEAD of the Stream. How can that be misleading? You purchased a pump (against Roger’s recommendations) that is performing exactly what it was designed to do.

I visit this forum daily. Why? Because of the high-quality unique products and honest customer service. Whenever I had a question, a problem or just needed a recommendation; Roger responded within hours of my posting. This is something that cannot be said for some of the other vendor forums.

ObscurityKnocks
02/26/2005, 10:50 AM
The odd thing though is he asked the same question a year later and 2 6000s and a multicontoller were recommended for the same setup here (http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=430705).

Playdope
02/26/2005, 03:27 PM
In the following thread:

http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=430705&highlight=Tunze

You wrote:
2 6000's would be right. Eventually the surface sand will get compacted and laden with bio film and not move so easily but at first you may have some issues with the sand bed. The 6000's are preferred because you can slow them down if needed and the 6060 cannot be used on a wavemaker so you will have a static flow.

You wrote in another thread:
http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=536045

I am running one in my 75 with a wavebox, no problems. I think 1 is sufficient. 2 could be used if you alternated them. Jon, I don't know how you are running that pump but 1 6000 is in no way too much for a 100 gallon tank.

Having said the above (both quoted and your last response in this thread) it seems a hair contradictory that you said the following in this thread:

http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=236069&highlight=Tunze

You wrote:
This is going to be tricky- the tank is just so shallow that the jet from the Streams is going to strongly agitate the sand. I would suggest finding another system be it closed loop, Seaswirls or 7400/2 pumps.

Please also note that I clearly included the specifications of my setup in the previously listed threads.

Quite frankly, I could care less that you don't "take lightly" to the accusation of deliberately misleading someone. You were misleading. You are even contradicting your original recommendation in this very post by saying the pump is fine.

NwG
02/26/2005, 04:03 PM
Hey playdope...
I think the problem here is YOUR understanding of the information provided to you... In the forums you linked, you were asked what you planned on keeping.... The only thing you talked about is your sandbed... If you would have provided the infromation that was asked of you, you may have gotten a better answer.... A few different people (including Roger) suggested something different... Still the only mention of what you plan to keep is your sandbed... "mixed reef" dosen't really mean anything.... I have a feeling that you will be kicking yourself later on for bad mouthing such a great product... BTW I now have 4 6100's in my tank and my frogspawns have never been better...... Roger is some of the best help around here when it comes to water flow....
IMO roger gives the some of the most honest info on his product, most advertising is misleading info.. I don not see that when it comes to Tunze.. I would hate to see how you treat the people at the LFS :)

Playdope
02/26/2005, 04:43 PM
NwG,
I am sure you and others have received advice that has worked for you, but that just wasn't the case for me.

I see the term "mixed reef" used all the time to describe a setup that will encorporate soft, lps, and sps, etc.. Even if you don't know this, it doesn't take mind bending logic to realize mixed refers to a mixture of coral types.

rvitko
02/26/2005, 05:01 PM
It also doesn't take much logic to see you were looking for the answer you wanted to hear, you asked once, I gave an answer you didn't like so you asked again. I conspired against you with Brewboy74 by the looks of it, I guess he is my alter ego :rolleyes:. My advice does change over time as I get more experience with people using the product in differently sized tanks with different substartes, their are many people using the product now, many locally whose tanks I can see with my own eyes and judge what works and what doesn't and see for my self what works. The only thing to be gained here is their is no pleasing some people but this is not something I am to blame for and you are welcome to return to your maxijets. I give advice to the best of my ability, I have never portended to be God and have all the answers.

Playdope
02/26/2005, 07:15 PM
It also doesn't take much logic to see you were looking for the answer you wanted to hear, you asked once, I gave an answer you didn't like so you asked again.

Didn't you ever learn that assuming makes an @ss out of you and me? The reason for asking a second time was because I was originally on the market for some more flow (possible the tunze) at one point, but then I stuck some maxi jets in the tank, which seemed to do okay for a while. I wanted some variable flow in the tank, and was considering the tunze for its wave control function, or a wavemaker control for the maxijets. Having been a year later, I asked again because I had simply forgotten what you first said to me. After taking your more recent advice... I have found that no matter where I put the pump in the tank on the lowest setting, that many of my corals aren't doing well.
Do you know what a "mixed reef" is Roger? Surely a man with 15+ years of reef experience must have heard the term.

If you want to believe you were deliberately misled more power to you
I don't take lightly to the accusation I deliberately misled someone...

At which point did I ever say you deliberately mislead me? Jumping to conclusions AGAIN. All I said was that I was disappointed.

NwG
02/26/2005, 07:23 PM
right here
I am confident that I was truly mislead in purchasing this unit for my setup.

Playdope
02/26/2005, 07:43 PM
The words true and deliberate are not synonymous.

Mike@ReefVenture
02/26/2005, 08:21 PM
Do you want to sell the 6000 I'm looking for a second one for my tank. Currently I use one on my mixed reef 120 Gallons with a large return pump (Ampmaster 3000). I get a temporary sand storm if I move stuff around because I have really fine sand. Most of my corals didn't care much for the flow initially but now they have better polyp extension. You should give the product a chance to work. If your unwilling to give it a try sell it, there is currently a shortage. I would be interested if you decide you want to go back to maxi-jets.

Playdope
02/26/2005, 10:33 PM
I'm being told there is a small hole with a flathead screw on the blue box that controls the master power from the transformer puck to the powerhead. When I first read the instructions it said to keep that to 100% (all the way clockwise). I was under the impression that I was to leave that screw as is, and just control everything from the black controller with knobs. So, it is safe to turn back the screw on the blue box to lower flow?

dpstrand
02/27/2005, 12:37 AM
If you decide to sell it, send me a pm please. I'm considering one and would love to save a little dough.

Diehl
02/27/2005, 11:12 AM
I will give you $275 shipped if you want. I need another one for my 90gal:)

rvitko
02/27/2005, 11:22 AM
It is an either or adjustment, either you adjust the driver and don't use a controller or you use a controller. The pump has a 4ft span at full power and you have a 5ft tank. This just does not make sense.

philfish
02/27/2005, 12:03 PM
I know that we English are known for our preciseness, but I do feel so sorry for Roger. He answers never ending queries about the product, to the very best of his ability. He does not profess to be the guru of all things Tunze, but is working hard to make sure we all get the very best from their product. He does his best. That is all we can ask.

People are far too eager to blame someone else when things don't go their way.

And it really is NOT going your way.

If they are too stong, sell them!! Simple. Why put yourself and Roger, through all this, when it is a case of making a decision. If you FEEL misled, then a public forum is not the place to air your dirty washing. Put it in writing to the company, and try and get some recompense that way.

As it is, you just seem to be trying to out-do Roger, who is only doing his best to help.

It is, sadly, yourself, and not Tunze that is looking poor here. Take a deep breath, and resolve it in another way. Arguing in public is embarrasing for Roger, and humiliating for you. You have had not one note of support here.

Sorry. Couldn't just leave it any longer!!

samsfishnchips
02/27/2005, 12:42 PM
another person here shock :eek2:

I see this and them see that you posted in another thread, saying you where "mislead" :confused:

mislead = To lead into error of thought or action, especially by intentionally deceiving. See Synonyms at deceive.

so what is the number of other people complaining about "mislead", 0, does that tell you something?

It would be a shame if the problem is something else and you are blaming an inocent man:rolleye1:

After getting ahold of them, they said they would take care of it.. I've had the skimmer off for days, and I have yet to receive any replacement parts in the mail. They also said they would get back to me regarding having me send the skimmer in to let them fix it, but they never got back to me about that either. I'm really considering getting a different skimmer simply due to the customer service alone - or lack there of.

like others couldn't hold it any longer, man, sorry roger

sam

Mike@ReefVenture
02/27/2005, 03:43 PM
I read this forum pretty much everyday for like 6 months before I bought my first stream. People have problems with something and Roger jumps to their aid. Sometimes he even sends free parts out if he fells that it could possibly be Tunze's fault. Try that with other vendors you will rarely get a response. Roger jumps on every question and trys to give the best advice he reasonably can given how little information most people provide. So why would you publicly try to embarrass him? He offered his help and then you turned on him. Being a sponsor of this site shows how much he cares about this hobby, he could probably sell just as many streams without being a sponsor. Also think of the amount of his time he spends answering all the question that come up in this forum. I think we all owe him our thanks for helping us out. You might want to consider changing the way you word things in the future, because I fell Roger's getting a bad rap for nothing. I originally didn't post anything in this thread, but I feel we should let Roger know we support what he's doing.

nickthapainter
02/27/2005, 06:33 PM
Well said!

Cheers Roger and thank you!

Diehl
02/28/2005, 12:11 PM
We would be lost without you sometimes Roger;) Ignore the ignorant ones out there;)

phil519
03/02/2005, 02:17 AM
Originally posted by Playdope
The words true and deliberate are not synonymous.

Well your choice of adjectives is poor. "Truly mislead". You were misled or you weren't. There's nothing "truly" about it. Also read up on what nunez1980 posted and I again ask you to re-consider your choice of words.

Originally posted by Playdope
Do you know what a "mixed reef" is Roger? Surely a man with 15+ years of reef experience must have heard the term.

Ah so we've graduated from flinging mud to flinging sarcasm. Certainly not constructive.

I will leave you with some figurative speech:
"People who live in glass houses should not throw stones".

tatuvaaj
03/02/2005, 11:51 AM
After posting several times in this forum, and asking if the Tunze 6000 w/multicontroller would be too much flow for my 100 gal (5ft. long tank), I was assured it would not be too much. After putting the pump in my tank, I noticed that some of my LPS, and softies were not taking well to the additional flow.
You might want to try to arrange your pumps differently. I'm adding a 6200 to my 212 gallon tank because the two 6100s I have now are not nearly enough (total flow in the tank is 7600 gal/h). And yes, I have DSB and "LPS".

Mark
03/02/2005, 12:28 PM
Tunze Streams have wait-lists because the demand is so high for them. If you are truly unsatisfied, sell them. You will probably get close to retail price if you sell them used.

Roger is a great guy, and he would never purposely mislead you into buying a product. In fact, many times, I have seen him recommend a non-tunze product if it is more suitable to the application.