PDA

View Full Version : Mantis with Maroon clown?

Wocka
02/26/2005, 08:37 AM
Can this be possible in a 22g? i also have some soft corals like mushrooms, sea mat, kenya tree, button polyps. i dont think the clown and a mantis would get along ( a peacok or n. wenn) but i was just wondering. also, would he eat my soft corals?

crafty_50mitchell
02/26/2005, 01:29 PM
Currently Im keeping a G.Smithii with a true perc clown and they seem to get along fine. This is probably mostly due to two aspects: the clowns like hanging out close to the surface and are not too nosy around the tank, and the G.Smithii isent, by a long shot, the most aggressive stomatopod around. They are both in a ten gallon, with mushrooms, xenia, star polyps etc. basically anything I dont want im my main reef tank anymore.
Cheers,
Brian

JBrown
02/26/2005, 02:56 PM
I also have a G.Smithii in a 10 gal with a true perc and they are fine togther and have been for a year He(the mantis) also was in a tank with a damsel and I never had problems

Wocka
02/26/2005, 03:28 PM
i kno a peacok will not be fine with a maroon clown. im gonna be moving my tank out into the main room (it used to be in my room) so im gonna do that before i get a mantis if i do. any ideas on what and what not to do?

alright to get back on subject. my tank right now have some good caves/crevices for where i think he might go. but they are kinda close to the glas.. like 1-2" away, will that be a problem with that.. dont want him smashing my glass

EMG
02/27/2005, 02:08 PM
I have my N. Wenn in a 5.5 gallon nano with my ocellaris clown...

My mantis trully is reef safe.... He refuses to eat anything but ghost shrimp and small blue hermits..... All my other livestock in there is doing well including all my snails, featherdusters and the damn peppermint shrimp.

I really believe I have a picky high-maintenance mantis....:p

http://www.chicagoriders.com/forum/uploads/post-26-1108966396.jpg

Simms142
02/28/2005, 05:38 AM
I had a G. Smithii in with my gold striped maroon. HE was really quite the sissy, stayed to himself, never killed a snail or a hermit. And lets see what else, when i would feed them, the fish would eat, then hunt down the mantis and steal his food. It was really quite nerve wracking for me to watch, but kinda funny. I usually had to feed the mantis twice...Sad to say, i think he died of a bad molt.

Wocka
03/01/2005, 07:31 PM
well looks like a mantis is not going to be good for my tank.. just realized i have 2 cleaner shrimp, i doubt any mantis will not eat them.i really want one tho, ugh!!

maybe i should sell my 2 cleaner shrimp :D

rwhhunt
03/03/2005, 06:37 PM
jbrown, and simms142, do you guys have a picture of a G. smithii??? I am looking for a smaller mantis to go in a 5 gal. I was also considering a wennera...

Simms142
03/03/2005, 08:08 PM
No i do not, he was kinda reclusive and was hard to get a picture of. He was green when i got him and molted twice to a really neat silverish blue color. I really like him, then he died...I would like to get another one however, they are so interesting to watch.