PDA

View Full Version : crab traps

ccirish
03/07/2005, 07:40 AM
I have a crab in a rock that I cannot get a good look at to get it out. Are there any traps that can be used?

phil519
03/07/2005, 10:26 AM
check the tbs website. They have an inverted bottle trap they recommend. I know someone here is lurking around with that "claw" thing but I just never have luck with it. A bowl with some food in it will work simply because the crab is unable to scale out of the glass sides. It goes in but can't get out (unless it has swimmerettes for legs - that's another story). Finally there's always the last resort which is to just pick up the LR out of the tank and coax the crab out.

however if it's a porcelain crab - you're expending an awful lot of energy trying to rid yourself of a crab that predominantly eats via filter feeding.

Try and get a pic.

ccirish
03/08/2005, 10:56 AM
With the crab and mantis traps you mentioned what kind of bait should I use?

patsan
03/08/2005, 06:30 PM
Originally posted by ccirish
With the crab and mantis traps you mentioned what kind of bait should I use?

You can use a piece of raw shrimp, or if you have any silversides, mussles, squid, etc.

liverock
03/08/2005, 08:08 PM
Originally posted by phil519
check the tbs website. They have an inverted bottle trap they recommend. I know someone here is lurking around with that "claw" thing but I just never have luck with it. A bowl with some food in it will work simply because the crab is unable to scale out of the glass sides. It goes in but can't get out (unless it has swimmerettes for legs - that's another story). Finally there's always the last resort which is to just pick up the LR out of the tank and coax the crab out.

however if it's a porcelain crab - you're expending an awful lot of energy trying to rid yourself of a crab that predominantly eats via filter feeding.

Try and get a pic.

Drill some 1/4 holes in the bottom of the bottle...

scubaguy699
03/10/2005, 08:43 PM
What do the 1/4 inch holes do?

liverock
03/11/2005, 06:42 AM
Originally posted by scubaguy699
What do the 1/4 inch holes do?

allow for circulation/scent....

lossman
03/15/2005, 12:34 PM
We set up a mason jar with a piece of shrimp. Our Gorilla Crab is too big for the plastic bottle trap. He almost went in yesterday. My guess is to simply keep trying until he gets bold enough to take the plunge, so to speak.

:D