PDA

View Full Version : New Lights

JVHam
03/15/2005, 07:30 PM
Okay I am posting this in a few forums to get as much feedback as possible. I have a 4x39watt T5 retro that is on the fritz and I think I just want to get rid of it and there are 2 options.

T5 (http://www.reefgeek.com/products/categories/lighting/104190.html)
or
Halide (http://www.reefgeek.com/products/categories/lighting/104477.html)

the 250watt halide os also an option but that is a lot of light with a tank that is a mix of corals and I think it might be detremental.

Peabody
03/15/2005, 09:10 PM
Halide wouldn't be detrimental. Either is a fine choice. I prefer halides, even for a mixed reed with clams, but that's just me.

mbbuna
03/15/2005, 09:27 PM
id go with the halides ,dont know if ur set on that unit but i think u can get a Coralife unit just like that for about $200 less

JVHam
03/16/2005, 12:42 PM
Coralifes are nice but these Sunlight Supply ones have 2 year gaurantee on the fisture and a 5 year on the ballasts.

Also I was wondering what wattage I should go with the dual 150 sounds good to me and I am worried that the dual 250 will give me major heat problems.

JR719
03/16/2005, 12:48 PM
JVHam,

I am running 2 250 MH on my 55. Yes, had heat issues even after adding a large fan. Still had 4 to 6 deg temp rise. Mine are in a hood for what its worth. I finally added a chiller. I would still get the MH though, better lights.

Jeff

Ti
03/16/2005, 03:05 PM
Originally posted by JVHam
Coralifes are nice but these Sunlight Supply ones have 2 year gaurantee on the fisture and a 5 year on the ballasts.

Also I was wondering what wattage I should go with the dual 150 sounds good to me and I am worried that the dual 250 will give me major heat problems.
I was looking at the manual the other day and it said 3yrs warranty on the Tek fixture.
Halides are nice, I would ahve gone halides, but some thigns swayed me to go T5.
Less heat, less power, no need for a chiller or fans(depending if you overdrive)

keckles
03/16/2005, 03:13 PM
I have a standard 55 gallon tank. I switched from 4x54w T-5 teklight to the dual 250 Maristar, and I would never switch back. My soft corals are actually looking better under the halides than they were under the t5s. My mushrooms are opening to twice their previous size, xenia trippling in size, etc. I bought a $7 clip fan at wal-mart to put in my sump, and heating hasn't been an issue since. I have 1.5 degree temperature shifts between the time the lights are on and off. I would go with halides, you definitely will not regret it :)

And just so my post will apply to this forum, I am keeping a 2 inch "super" blue T. maxima clam in the tank :thumbsup: